Primary for Viognier?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueStimulator

Reaction score
So I had to pick early as leaf hoppers were whacking my leaves. This is my first harvest and first try at wine making. I kinda jump in with both feet.

Ended up with brixs of 19. Had 85 or so lbs and destemed, crushed and added Camden tabs. Pressed after 14-16 hours added sugar to 23 brixs, added 4 tsp yeast to the 6.5 gallons of juice, I will add 2 more on Tuesday. Pitched D-47 and shop temp is at 67. Tried to use PH dip sticks but not sure what the color reading was 3.4 or 3.5 is my guess. Those things suck!!! My meter is in route as the order was delayed for some reason. So here is my question. I put the juice back in the husky vat to open ferment. I have a towel over it for air and most of the lid covering the towel. Also saw a very very little action in the juice this am.

In reading some worry about oxidation and open ferment with white grapes so they put the juice in carboys with the juice level a little under the shoulders. Some rack after 8-12 or so hours to get rid of the sediment. I did notice when I stirred it this am that there was some settling.

So
Should I open ferment then put in carboys when 2/3 the sugar is gone?
Should I try to rack off the sediment and open fuerment to what SGlevel?
Should I after work put 3 gallons in to 5 gallon carboys for the primary and put air locks on.

Oh and I am leaving Thursday night for a backpacking/fly fishing trip in Yellowstone and will be back on Tuesday really late. The leaf hoppers really screwed up my timing

Thank you for all of your help you all have been great

I am such a noob
:slp:slp:slp

Last edited:
Ok so the Hannah meter came with no fluid pack to calibrate so out of the box the PH was 3.05 with decent fermentation activity:a1:a1:a1

If you are fermenting in a open container with a piece of cloth over it - you should be fine. When fermentation is almost complete then transfer into your carboys with an air lock on them.

Good luck hiking !!

Ok so the Hannah meter came with no fluid pack to calibrate so out of the box the PH was 3.05 with decent fermentation activity:a1:a1:a1

The presence of CO2 in fermenting wine can throw your pH meter readings out of kilter. If you didn't do it when you took your reading, take a tiny bit out and put it in a test tube and shake it repeatedly to release the gas before taking your pH reading.

The presence of CO2 in fermenting wine can throw your pH meter readings out of kilter. If you didn't do it when you took your reading, take a tiny bit out and put it in a test tube and shake it repeatedly to release the gas before taking your pH reading.

Thanks will do

To me it would depend on how big your primary is or really how much head space between the must and the towel. It seems possible that the wine could be down to 1.00 SG while you are gone, if you have too much head space in primary the CO2 could possibly dissipate at the end of fermentation when less is produced. If you have lesser head space you will be fine.
You could stir the must twice daily to help the ferment along and see where SG is before you leave Thursday and if you are around 1.020 - 1.010 rack to glass with airlock to sit until you get back to keep a better blanket of CO2.

TXWineDuo

To me it would depend on how big your primary is or really how much head space between the must and the towel. It seems possible that the wine could be down to 1.00 SG while you are gone, if you have too much head space in primary the CO2 could possibly dissipate at the end of fermentation when less is produced. If you have lesser head space you will be fine.
You could stir the must twice daily to help the ferment along and see where SG is before you leave Thursday and if you are around 1.020 - 1.010 rack to glass with airlock to sit until you get back to keep a better blanket of CO2.

TXWineDuo

Great advice the fermenting has taken off and I plan on checking the SG and put have thought about putting 3 gallons in 5 gallon carboys before I leave and having the kids stir and maybe even air lock them too.

Thank you all so much for the help you all ROCK!!!!

Latest posts

Back