Primary finished - how long is it safe

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeoffMcG

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm making my first batch of Pinot noir from the grapes I grew.
The primary fermentation is finished so I need to press the must and get it into clean carboys. My problem is my delivery of carboys is delayed so I have nowhere to put it.
How long can I safely leave it in the fermenter?
Are there things I should be doing?
I should have the carboys in under a week

if I was waiting for a carboy, I would go back to older technology. I would press and then put back into a poly pail (original fermentor) and cover with plastic sheet (garbage bag) which is held on with a bungi cord (string,,thread).
you are out gassing for two to four weeks so it will constantly flush CO2. This period can be lengthened if you move it to a cooler garage/ basement. I would treat this as the fermentor trying to do a clean racking in a few weeks.
Hello all,
I'm making my first batch of Pinot noir from the grapes I grew.
The primary fermentation is finished so I need to press the must and get it into clean carboys. My problem is my delivery of carboys is delayed so I have nowhere to put it.
How long can I safely leave it in the fermenter?
Are there things I should be doing?
I should have the carboys in under a week

I thought I was gonna be in the same position with 2 carboys I ordered were delayed for a couple of weeks. I then discovered Lablepeelers.com - I ordered another one, at a decent price, on Saturday and they had it ready to ship in a couple o hours so I will have it today (Wednesday).

They are not only still working, they are working over the weekend.

I thought I was gonna be in the same position with 2 carboys I ordered were delayed for a couple of weeks. I then discovered Lablepeelers.com - I ordered another one, at a decent price, on Saturday and they had it ready to ship in a couple o hours so I will have it today (Wednesday).

My delivery has arrived now so all set.
Thanks

yep labelpleelers use italian carboys, always make sure you never get chinese carboys they are thin and easy to break,
and on old carboys American, Mexican carboys are good but you can get new italian for very close to the same money, i do hope you have been warned, if your carboy gets wet they have been known to multiple, don't believe me just ask around,,, lol
Dawg

Back