Primary Fermination

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Koom

Reaction score
Hi all, I new to the forums and to wine making. I just started my first batch using welch's frozen grape juice. I mixed everything properly and added my campden tabs. After 24 hours I added my yeast and nutrient. I added my yeast yesterday and I checked on the must today to stir the must and there was no bubbles, no nothing going on. What should I be expecting 24 hours after I added the yeast?

You probably could have skipped the campden tabs (how much did you use?) as it's already pretty much free of any natural yeasts.

If you give us the full recipe that you used we might be able to give you more accurate advice.

What temp is the must and what yeast did you use. Some yeast strains like Red Star Cotes Des Blanc can take up to 3 days to start. Cooler temps like low to high 60's can make a yeast take a long time to start. I like to add my yeast at around 80* as it takes right off at that temp and then I let it cool down once it starts to take off. I lower the temp down because once fermentation gets going it can raise the temp up a few degrees all in itself. green mountains is right, you dont need to use sulfite when making wine from pasteurized juice, just fresh or frozen fruit.

You probably could have skipped the campden tabs (how much did you use?) as it's already pretty much free of any natural yeasts.

If you give us the full recipe that you used we might be able to give you more accurate advice.

2 cans of welchs concentrate
1 campden tab
3 cups of sugar
2 tsp acid blend
1 tsp grape tannin
1 tsp yeast nutrient
water to make 1 gallon
wine yeast

I added the campden tabs on the advice from an old time wine maker. He stated not only will campden tabs sterilize the must but also is a back up for the sterlization of the primary fermination vessel.

I did use Red Star Cotes Des Blanc yeast and I added the yeast and nutrient at 75 degrees. So I guess I'm just being paranoid. Thanks for the advice. I'll wait a few more days. Patience is definitely the key here.

2 cans of welchs concentrate
1 campden tab
3 cups of sugar
2 tsp acid blend
1 tsp grape tannin
1 tsp yeast nutrient
water to make 1 gallon
wine yeast

I added the campden tabs on the advice from an old time wine maker. He stated not only will campden tabs sterilize the must but also is a back up for the sterlization of the primary fermination vessel.

I did use Red Star Cotes Des Blanc yeast and I added the yeast and nutrient at 75 degrees. So I guess I'm just being paranoid. Thanks for the advice. I'll wait a few more days. Patience is definitely the key here.

If you used the white Welch's, it already had sulfites.

Well it appears everything is working now. When I went to stir it today it had that distinct fermination smell and small bubbles were on the surface. Thanks for all the advice

Back