Primary Fermenter Sizes for Large Must Volumes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CortneyD

Reaction score
I have a 6ish (possibly 7?) gallon FG bucket I was sold for primary fermenting 5 gallon batches. I started my first 5 gallon batch of fruit wine today and it became IMMEDIATELY obvious part way in that this container was far to small for 5 gallons of water and 19 lbs of fruit. Duh. I got about 13 quarts of water in with all the fruit and sugar, but my recipe calls for closer to 20. 😲 I know a lot of the fruit-wine advice here is to go really heavy on fruit-must volumes to get better mouth feel, so how are you all accommodating these large total volumes?

TL:DR: how big of a primary fermenter do you use for 5 gallon batches when your fruit volumes are so big?

I'm heading to our local brewing/wine supply store this weekend and I don't want to end up with something that will be inadequate- but overkill isn't necessarily helpful either. Any advice would be very helpful! Thanks!

A lot of folks here use Brute trash cans in various sizes. Apparently even the grey ones sold at hardware stores are food safe. I have a 10 gal for food storage that I ordered from a bakery supply place. It’s barely big enough for a six gallon batch with fruit solids. I’ll be getting a 32 gal soon.

Most hardware places seem to carry the 32 gal Brute. I haven’t seen many smaller sizes on the shelf but you can order them
Thank you! I was able to order a 20 gallon Brute online which should work very well for this purpose, I only wish it was going to get her quicker!

Can I get this batch started and throw the yeast tomorrow and still top off with the remaining 7 quarts once the new container arrives? Or am I just asking for trouble doing it that way?

Can I get this batch started and throw the yeast tomorrow and still top off with the remaining 7 quarts once the new container arrives? Or am I just asking for trouble doing it that way?
Changing the volume like that makes the OG harder to figure, so you'll not know for sure what the ABV is. I'd wait.

When I had a crop of blackberries that were too big for my 7G bucket, I split it into another 7G bucket. Getting another bucket is a good reason to start making more and more, buying more buckets, making even more...
LOL, this is how I end up taking over the whole basement rather than keeping things nice and tidy inside the pantry, isn't it???

I got my 20g white brute from a restaurant supply outlet. Had to shop around a little but found a place that catered to food trucks and caterers so more of a discount outlet and it was about the same price as at HD. They had to get it from their warehouse so it took a couple of days. The wheeled dolly was the most expensive piece.

Rather than buying the specific wheeled dollies, I use the under $10 furniture dollies sold by Harbor Freight.

I like these too. But, sadly, they are now $12.99. I probably have 10 of these. Every ferment, and every storage container goes on a dolly. It's never hard to move things around.

HF Dolly

I like these too. But, sadly, they are now $12.99. I probably have 10 of these. Every ferment, and every storage container goes on a dolly. It's never hard to move things around.

HF Dolly

I would imagine that is still less than the dedicated dollies, but dang, why do prices have to go up in the 8 or 9 years since I bought mine? 😇😇😇

Rather than buying the specific wheeled dollies, I use the under $10 furniture dollies sold by Harbor Freight.
That is what I have. Bought them on sale at HF for $8 each and they are multipurpose. I used them for large fermenters, full carboys and cases of wine and wine bottles which I move around my wine area. They are rated at 1000 pounds capacity.

EDIT: Also, I modified the dollies by adding a piece of 3/4" plywood to fill the gap in the center of the dollies. I just checked the price, and they are $12.99 at present, but they go on sale frequently.
1645051135019.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back