RJ Spagnols Primary Fermentation

Discussion in 'Kit Winemaking' started by chardon-man, Mar 13, 2009.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Mar 13, 2009 #1

chardon-man

chardon-man

chardon-man

Junior

This is my first batch and the instructions say to wait 14 days ( Approx)) before you transfer . I noticed that the airlock has slowed down in bubbling ( down to one bubble ever 2-3 min) and it's been 6 days since i put it in. I'm not in any hurry but just wondering. It's a White Strawberry Zin from RJ.

Thanks in advance

2. Mar 13, 2009 #2

vcasey

vcasey

vcasey

Check your SG, if it has reached the target move on to the next step. Some wines will ferment faster and some slower. Welcome to the forum.
    VPC

3. Mar 13, 2009 #3

Wade E

Wade E

Wade E

Premium

Agree with above post and welcome to the forum.

4. Mar 14, 2009 #4

Dean

Dean

Dean

RJS instructions say to keep it the primary until day 14 for much easier degassing. I'd wait until day 14. I've been following the 14 day primary routine and it's been amazing how easy degassing is now.

5. Mar 14, 2009 #5

Wade E

Wade E

Wade E

Premium

Still not on top of my game here from being sick and didnt notice this was a RJS kit, wait the 14 days like Dean said and Im going to bed![​IMG]

6. Mar 14, 2009 #6

chardon-man

chardon-man

chardon-man

Junior

Thank you all. I will wait the 14 days i did a SG test and it was at 1.000 they say to wait till .998 but if it helps to degass the wine by waiting i will. Any special way of degassing i have a wip rod i call it ?

7. Mar 14, 2009 #7

Dean

Dean

Dean

LOL, I could totally tell that Wade. It's not too often we have a difference of opinion on things. I kind of thing of you as my Eastern US half. [​IMG]

8. Feb 12, 2019 at 2:08 PM #8

TikiWine

TikiWine

TikiWine

Just piggy backing on the instructions for primary. This is my first kit. I followed the directions in the kit word for word. During more research and reading I found a youtube video from the marker that had a lot more details in what to do and if you don't it's ruined basically. The big two are mix the bentonite in two cups of hot water vs 2 liters of almost boiling water. I did my best but it still has small clumps. Second was the video said to stir vigorously for 30 seconds. The kit said pour in the juice and add water. Then stir well. I think I did that as I added the oak packets and such. Also the yeast packet said to hydrate the kit says sprinkle. So far the airlock is bubbling every couple seconds but the temp doesn't seem very high it's not registering on the thermometer. Any thoughts or suggestions?

9. Feb 12, 2019 at 2:22 PM #9

sour_grapes

sour_grapes

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers

Hi, Tiki,

First, realize that this thread is fully 10 years old, and that no one on the thread will likely see your post. (It may have been better to start a new thread, but we can continue here.)

There is almost NOTHING, short of peeing in it, that you could do that would make it "basically ruined." In particular, the clumping or non-clumping of the bentonite is essentially irrelevant to your future wine. (The bentonite won't help the wine clear quite as much if it is clumped, but no biggie.)

As far as the yeast, you can either hydrate or sprinkle; both work fine. It may take the yeast slightly longer to get going if you sprinkle, but they eventually "know what to do."

If the must is cold, it will be slow to ferment. When you say "not registering on the thermometer," do you mean one of those changing-color strips on the side of the bucket? You could use a conventional thermometer, like one meant for cooking. You can move it to a warm room, or wrap a heating pad around it, or just a blanket. (The fermentation gives off heat, so a blanket will help keep the temperature up once it gets going.)

So my suggestion is to relax and wait a couple of days!

Dom Lausic likes this.
  10. Feb 12, 2019 at 2:36 PM #10

TikiWine

TikiWine

TikiWine

Thanks for the reply. And I see so many people say to search as someone probably already aaask before you post. But oh well. Yes it is a stick on. I have a floating one inside, but I used all my sanitizing package whem I started it. So didn't want to grab it out and spoil the wine.the spit stays pretty steady. I try the blanket. Thanks.