Primary fermentation underway...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crisella

Reaction score
Hi all, like the thread states, primary fermentation is underway. What exactly should I be looking for? It's has only been about 24 hours and I don't want to screw my kit up. i have a 6 gallon merlot juice kit. Thanks in advance and great place you guy's (and gals) have here! Jimmy

Jimmy:

Wine making is in the details and lots of patience.

Without those details, we can't help you. So what kind of kit, ie manufacturer and brand? What do the instructions say? Probably something about checking the sg on day 7 or 14.

Steve

yea like what Steve said more info
Kinda like saying the car sounds funny. what did you do, what does it sound like.. etc
BTW.. was this frozen juice or a kit?
Where did you get it?
After adding the yeast it may take 24-26 hours before you see anything. R U fermenting in a bucket or a carboy? leave the "top" (lid) off
I'm in NJ where in the state R U ?

Jimmy,
First of all, don't let the wine know this is your first time. Show confidence around it. Don't look directly at it ... But don't look away either. Oh wait, that's my advise on "how to approach a snarling dog" disregard that.

Keep the must in the mid seventies. Soon you'll see activity. Do you have it under airlock with the lid snapped down? If so you should see activity in the airlock shortly if not already. Keep us posted and while you're waiting heed the above advise and give us more detail. All kits and wines are not alike but most of all....have fun with this.

Within a few hours to one more day (approx.), the wine (now that the yeast has been pitched, it's technically and legally wine) will start to fizz. Within a few hours of that, it will start to foam up some. That means fermentation is under way.
Next, the temperature will start to go up. If the wine gets over about 78 or so, and you have an external heat source, you might need to lower that heat. Mine gets into the lower 80's even with the room heater turned way down. The upper 70's is better, though.
As the fermentation starts to slow, the temp will again start back down. Use a heater or brew belt to keep the temp in the 70's, if you can, until fermentation is finished.

Follow the instructions!!!

As the others have said, it is best if we know what kit you started.

Have fun. It's wine making, not rocket science!!!

yea like what Steve said more info
Kinda like saying the car sounds funny. what did you do, what does it sound like.. etc
BTW.. was this frozen juice or a kit?
Where did you get it?
After adding the yeast it may take 24-26 hours before you see anything. R U fermenting in a bucket or a carboy? leave the "top" (lid) off
I'm in NJ where in the state R U ?

Hi Tom, I purchased everything at Corrado's in Clifton. I live in north NJ (morris county) in Rockaway. The juice is a Lodi Gold Merlot. Juice form not frozen or from concentrate. The main reason I have so many questions is that I purchased everything ala carte so to speak, It wasn't a kit like Vintners circle would sell abd the salesmen said for my 1st batch, this would be the most easy and cost effective way to go. According to Corrado's, the acidity level in the juice is pre adjusted and the alcohol level is pre determined ( i could adjust this by adding sugar i think).
So today I checked and I have many small bubbles forming in the bucket. I'm using a 6 gallon food grade bucket for primary fermentation before the 6 gallon carboy. I hope I made the right choice going this route. By the way, what is the price range of an entire kit? Maybe that will be the next batch. Thanks for all the input!

crisella:

In wine making there are two meanings for the word kit.

equipment kit - primary, carboy, hose, etc etc - usually includes no juice/concentrate/fruit

wine kit, eg merlot kit (as in your original post) - this is a bag of concentrate/juice with the necassary yeast, additives, and instructions - usujally includes no equipment/hardware

Steve

crisella:

In wine making there are two meanings for the word kit.

equipment kit - primary, carboy, hose, etc etc

wine kit, eg merlot kit (as in your original post) - this is a bag of concentrate/juice with the necassary yeast, additives, and instructions.

Steve

Ahh, thank you Steve, that makes sense. Well fingers are crossed and I'm waiting patiently for the next step. I think I'm going to like this hobby!

Jimmy, This hobby quickly turns into an obsession. I started out with two kits in the fall of '98 and have now made over 30 kits and wine from juice. I truly get most of my joy in making the wine and sharing it with my friends. Some day when I have the time I will grow up and make some from scratch. Keep asking questions and keep us posted on your progress.

And Jimmy just to let you know, it's fun every time you do it. (Kinda like another thing we all like). Last night we pitched the yeast to a Wine Expert Vintners Reserve Pinot Noir....

....I couldn't WAIT to get home tonight and check the primary. It was literally FROTHING......... so frickin' sweet.

It looks like mine is starting to froth also and I notice a smell, almost like a gas of some sort. I guess this is carbon dioxide? At least something is happening! lol

It looks like mine is starting to froth also and I notice a smell, almost like a gas of some sort. I guess this is carbon dioxide? At least something is happening! lol
Ahh ! The smell of fermenting wine to wake up to...!
Let it continue till you have a gravity of 1.015 and rack to glass. There let it continue till its finished .990. then get back here before you do anything else for updated info.
WRITE everything down ! If you look at it write it down etc. Keep records espesially time temps etc.. Why? so when we ask you ... you will have it.

Jimmy, you better get started on making a large wine rack. Once you get started its hard to stop and you're going to need a place to store all of those bottles. This new hobby of your's is one your friends will not regret..LOL.

Dan you are so right. After making beer, my first attempt at wine was a Vinters reserve White Zin of which was consumed WAY TO FAST. Now the rack is empty except for empty bottles. I have a strawberry from scratch bulk aging and another White Zin in secondary which should be ready for bottling the end of this month. Need to start another batch as two primaries and one carboy is empty:slp

I have a beer which will be ready for bottling also at the end of the month...then MORE WINE!!!

Steve

You guy's aren't kidding about a huge rack! I can't wait, I feel like a kid in a candy shop!

Ok, so now I think I can understand this process a little more. The gas and alcohol are byproducts of the juice and yeast. Today I checked for sg and I am at 1020. Should I go to secondary yet? There is still plenty going on in the primary bucket and the lees look like thick pink sludge at the bottom. I thinks it's almost time. Also, I took a little taste (couldn't resist) and it def tastes like wine now, carbonated wine maybe but def not juice. This is going to quickly turn from a hobby into an obsession!

Give it another day if its still doing a strong fermentation. ck in 24-36 hrs and ck the gravity. Rack @ 1.010

Latest posts

Back