WineXpert Primary Fermentation Temp...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheelerc6

Junior
Reaction score
I started the primary fermentation on the Winexpert Select Estate - Sonoma Cabernet Sauvignon kit aprox 4 days ago. The original temperature when the yeast was pitched was at 75 degrees. On day 3 the must temp has risen to 82 but the ambient temp is at 72. The instructions state the temp should be between 65 and 75.

Is the temp stated in the instructions the ambient temp or the temp of the must?

Is 82 too high for the must temp?

I was reading on the internet where a red wine can have higher temps during fermentation. The normal range is between 76 and 86. Anything over 86 might cause the aromas to be removed and the wine would have a bolder taste. Wasn't sure if this was the same for kit wines.

I really hope that I haven't caused an issue because this wine really looks nice. It is my 3rd kit in the last 3 weeks. I like this one because it had its own little bag of crushed grapes that were added.

Last edited:
"crushed craps"??? do you mean grapes?

What a site, you can say craps but not cla**ic or a**et or gla**. (substitute ss for **, in case you missed it.)

Steve

The instructions are the temp of the must. Fermentation generates heat, so the must during primary is always several degrees warmer than the ambient temp.

Making a simple swamp cooler for the fermenter can help drop the temp a good 5 degrees F.
Tossing a very small fan (or a floor vent) on the swamp cooler setup can drop the temp 10F.

"crushed craps"??? do you mean grapes?

What a site, you can say craps but not cla**ic or a**et or gla**. (substitute ss for **, in case you missed it.)

Steve

Classic is an asset of glass

Sorry, you made me try it.. ;)

Must be fixed.. Sometimes my firewall at work blocks what it deams inappropriate, which can be a PIA..

Back to the question at hand.. Numerous times I have seen the temps rise during vigorous fermentation.. Just follow directions and keep temps where they need to be.. Using what Malkore posted is one very good idea.. Find what works for you..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back