Primary fermentation start?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we were under the assumption the floating oak was a cap. Sorry I didn't see the earlier post on the yeast. AJ is correct about the boots but if you rehydrated the yeast and didn't acclimate the temps it could be an issue. Adding another pack of yeast can't hurt anything.

Ok. I figured as much I'll see how it looks in the morning and might get one for tomorrow

Ok. I figured as much I'll see how it looks in the morning and might get one for tomorrow

I don't think that I misunderstood "thickness on the surface" to be floating oak, I think that you accurately described the typical gathering of a sludgy, yeasty, blob on the surface that's typical of EC-1118 yeast populating your must and preparing to go to work.

It's barely been over 48 hours since you pitched yeast, I hope you're not opening the fermenter every time you post. Leave the must alone for goodness sake, let it get going, your temps are proper, you're using EC-1118 which will ferment your hand off if you leave it in there too long, it's a kit so the pH is going to be in the right range, the only thing it can't seem to get is enough time. As I said earlier in your thread, no need to worry unless you get to the 96 hour mark and nothing is happening.

Patience is what you need right now, leave nature to do it's work, your work is done for now.

I
It's barely been over 48 hours since you pitched yeast, I hope you're not opening the fermenter every time you post. Leave the must alone for goodness sake, let it get going,

Do you have any idea how difficult that is for someone with only a few batches under their belt?! To “leave it alone”? For myself I’d say it’s damn near impossible! Lol.

But seriously, what’s the big deal if he’s popping the lid? Not sure I’m following your thought process. After pitching yeast whether ya leave a lid off altogether in a completely open vessel or ferment in an airlocked carboy— it’s still gonna do what it’s gonna do, no?

No I gaha only popped it once or twice a day to look in the morning and night, wimilsito if I gah to punch skins. Just trying to see if I see anything happening. So I'll leave it be until tomorrow night .that's the 96 hr Mark. And yes I am running my first two batches concurrently. In two different types and different ingredients. Probably should have waited but oh well. All part of the fun.

But I appreciate all the input.

Do you have any idea how difficult that is for someone with only a few batches under their belt?! To “leave it alone”? For myself I’d say it’s damn near impossible! Lol.

But seriously, what’s the big deal if he’s popping the lid? Not sure I’m following your thought process. After pitching yeast whether ya leave a lid off altogether in a completely open vessel or ferment in an airlocked carboy— it’s still gonna do what it’s gonna do, no?

Of course I know that......we've all been there!!!! Every lid pop is an opportunity for something to get in there, and there's no advantage to lid popping when it's not necessary.

Latest posts

Back