Primary fermentation seems to be over before period suggested in kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkirtani

Junior
Reaction score
I started a sangiovese kit about 10 days back. the bubbles in the 1st few days of primary fermentations were very active about 2 times every second. now the bubbling is almost gone once every minute.
the kit instructions say 14 days in the primary ferment.
1) can I move the wine to the secondary before 14 days ( like today )
2) when I started the wine I closed the primary bucket with an airlock - I have read in this forum that having no airlock on for the 1st few days is better - would my wine be ok? anything I can do about this?
Thanks!!!!
-Prasanna

1) Airlock or no airlock - your wine will ferment if properly prepared.
2) Movement to a secondary container (Carboy) is based on the SG reading NOT on a certain number of days. Fermentation rates vary widely. (I just had a batch of wine finish fermenting in 72 hours - Not the norm but it happens)
3) When the SG is at 1.010 or lower you can move the wine to a secondary container.
4) Instructions for kit wines are typically just guidelines and assume you know very little about wine making. That can either help or sometime hurt a beginner as in cases like this.

@pkirtani the air lock during primary is a matter of convenience for most.
When fruit pulp is present most will stir on a regular basis. Taking that £ing lid off twice a day is insane. We have simply learned its ok to leave loose. Kit makers aren't going to take a chance you will keep bugs out so they will always say air lock.
FYI if the seal strip on a 5 or 6 gallon bucket lid is broken it wont seal any way. It will still tear a fingernail off though. And as scooter said fermentation time varies, do this kit again and 14 days might not be enough.

This is my method of covering for primary fermentation - easy on and off and suppresses a foam overflow without clogging up an airlock. This is a 2 gallon fermenter and the cover also fits a 5 gallon bucket as well - No fruit flies in there ever.

Mango Wine covered..JPG

This is my method of covering for primary fermentation - easy on and off and suppresses a foam overflow without clogging up an airlock. This is a 2 gallon fermenter and the cover also fits a 5 gallon bucket as well - No fruit flies in there ever.

View attachment 50561
Thanks a lot for your responses. Really helpful.

Latest posts

Back