Primary fermentation question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Paul Gardner, the wines need racking off the sediment. Just rack, then test the SG. It's fairly certain that fermentation is complete. However, check SG at every racking. It's simply a good habit to do it every time, so you'll not forget.

Sniff each before racking -- it's possible for one to go bad, and if so, you don't want to mix it with others. This is relatively unlikely to happen, but it is good to be cautious.

I'd homogenize the wines (blend them in a larger container) so you have a consistent wine, then rack back into the jugs, filling them like you currently have. Because of volume reduction due to sediment, you're going to do some blending anyway to top the jugs.

You will need another smaller jug. Your volume will be reduced after racking, so your 3rd jug will not be topped up. Alternately, top up with a compatible wine. Your wine is a Niagara so a commercial Niagara is a good choice; beyond that, any mild tasting white wine will suffice.

After that, it's a waiting game. Watch for more sediment buildup, and if so, rack in 3 months.

Opinions differ wildly on the topic, but IMO you can bottle 3 to 6 months from now.

Started January 1 with Szg of 1.082. 1-6 racked to jugs with SG of 1.06. Today racked off sediment and SG is 1.022. Wine has the full aroma of the grapes and is wonderful. I did top off the partial jug with some 2003 Niagara frok Oak Knolls. As you can see by the picture, it turned fairly dark. What should my SG be in 3 months or so just before bottling? Oh, and I sampled just a bit and it's pretty good for my first time.

Attachments

• 20210205_093439.jpg
    20210205_093439.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 8
Given that the wine was clearing after a month, I assumed fermentation was completed. However, 1.022 is far from complete, so that was a bad assumption on my part. I assume the wine tastes sweet?

For most wines, a final SG between 0.990 and 0.996 is normal, with some as high as 0.998.

It appears you have a stuck fermentation, and have 2 options:

1) Add fresh yeast and nutrient to induce fermentation to start. While you can use a lot of yeasts, Lalvin EC-1118 is probably the best choice as it's a work horse that survives in most environments. I like to say that it will ferment a rock if given the opportunity. Also, put the jugs someplace warm, between 70 and 80 F. If it's colder than that now, that could be why the fermentation stuck.

2) Ignore it for 3 months. During that time the fermentation may resume on its own.

If it doesn't and you're happy with the taste, add potassium sorbate and K-meta to prevent a renewed fermentation, and bottle.

what color is the wine you added? I assume it's dark?

The commercial wine was dark. I started adding it, but by then it was too late. As to the sweetness, it was very pleasant. Not really "sweet", more of an off dry. How about I let it sit a month, then test SG again. If it's still stuck, I can add the yeast and nutrients. Would that be a reasonable compromise between option 1 and 2?

@Paul Gardner, always taste the wine before topping with it. I guess I'm a bit late with that advice? ;)

Does the dark one taste good? If so, cool! If the color is not to your liking, keep that jug separate, and use a different brand to top with next time.

I listed 2 main options, as I didn't want to overwhelm you with too much detail. Your idea of waiting a month and then kick-starting is a good choice as well.

IIRC, your OG was 1.112, so currently the ABV is a bit over 12%. If you are happy with the taste and it's not too sweet, you may consider stabilizing now. If the wine does ferment out, you'll get close to 16% ABV, which is pretty hot.

My 2019 wines are all north of 15% ABV, and my 2020's will be as well. If the brix this coming fall are equally high, I will reduce the brix with acidulated water, to produce wines between 13% and 14%. My 2019's taste great, but they pack a wallop.

All the options discussed are valid and will result in a good wine. It's all a matter of what you want to do. Don't make a decision today, wine is patient and you have time to consider your options.

The wine might be patient but I'm sure not. However, thank you for your encouragement and guidance. I'll do another test in a month and see what happens.

Ah Grasshopper - You must learn to wait until the proper time to act.

Sorry just couldn't resist. Paul I'm with you there. Patience is the hardest part of this hobby. Start another batch and start reading and planning future batches. Seek out some interesting wines at the local shops and she where you might want to experiment in the future. This is the part that is the toughest on us as new wine makers. But, you'll get over it. I found today that I had 3 batches that were actually overdue for another racking. (I found another hobby to keep me busyin while I wait) I've only been doing this for 5 1/2 years but you'll get there.

Starting another batch isn't a bad idea. I've got 6 pounds of red plums in the freezer. Do you have a recipe for a one gallon plum wine?

Check here: Recipes

And do the math if you find a recipe for 5 gallons. 6 pounds should work pretty well. I've never had enough plums from our trees to do plum wine.....yet.

Hi Paul, as long as as the hydrometer reads between 0.996 to 0.990 it should be ready to rack. That Carlos Rossi jug looks like it might be tall enough that you may even be able to get a reading right inside the bottle. Not sure what you have for equipment, but I would recommend degassing it in either a bucket, something with a bit of head room. Also the perfect time to add any clearing agents if you have any. Hopefully you have a siphon and hoe so your wine doesn't come in contact with too much oxygen. Looking good so far :cool:

Simple way to determine final racking time (When fermentation is over) is to check the SG if no change for 3 days, the fermenation is finished. IF the SG significantly above 1.000 you have a stalled ferment or a yeast that just can't handle the conditions in your fermentation. If that happens any case then you need to decided if you can live with the wine that way and is the ABV going to be high enough to help keep the wine from spoiling. (Of course it's just one of the three legs that support a wine lasting a long time - ABV, pH, SO2 level)

PS the Carlo Rossi bottles don't work with most hydrometers when your SG is close to the finishing point,.

And if you tie a string/thread on it then your reading may be affected. Easier just to take a sample, test it and return it to the carboy. I'm just about to go do that today on a batch that should be finished fermenting.

Look at you hydrometer and look how much will be out of the wine must at .990 - That's much you will have to grab onto - inside that opening.

Back