Primary fermentation in a carboy/jug

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobF

Reaction score
When fermenting juice, sometimes I start in jugs using a coffee filter as a cap until fermentation slows down. Works fine.

I was wondering, does anybody that does this ever invert the carboy for the daily stir? With a hand over the top, of course ...

When fermenting juice, sometimes I start in jugs using a coffee filter as a cap until fermentation slows down. Works fine.

I was wondering, does anybody that does this ever invert the carboy for the daily stir? With a hand over the top, of course ...

Daily stir? Not required (or recommended) for most kits. Juggling a 23 litre carboy not recommended for most people (never mind us old folks).

Presumably you're talking a bout a 1 gallon jug. Yes I have done that for degassing a 1 gallon jug.

Steve

I have done that when it is in a one gallon jug but usually once I transfer to a carboy I am done with stirring, should I still be stirring?

Julie

I have done that when it is in a one gallon jug but usually once I transfer to a carboy I am done with stirring, should I still be stirring?

Julie

cpfan/Julie - It's a 1 gal jug and a 3 gal carboy. It's just started, what you would consider primary fermentation. Unlike a bucket, it's hard to wet everything on the sides of the jug/carboy by stirring. I'm just thinking of ways to "rinse" the inside where it has foamed up. Not a big deal.

No, I wouldn't stir a secondary daily ...

Thing is Bob, if you are using fruits or anything else that floats in the must, it is necessary to push down that "cap" at least once a day, twice is better. You want to keep those solids moist. it is very difficult to do in a carboy, or even in a gallon jug.

Most will agree to do your primary ferment in a bucket. During the primary, yeast likes that oxegen to grow and multiply.

There is no reason to stir, as far as I know. The yeast will find its own way.

Fermenting in a jug or carboy will sure work, but find a food grade bucket and allow you primary ferment to "grow" in there.

I am using a 5 gallon bucket from a laundry soap, I cleaned the hell out of it and have been using it for 15 or more batches of wine.(no, my wine doesn't taste soapy, so save your comments!) I too have used a carboy during the primay, but if you are using whole fruit, access to push down the cap can be tough.

A regular old fashioned 5 gallon bucket, cleaned and sterilized is all you need.( I would recommend a paint straining bag or nylon stockings to contain the fruit) easier to remove and gives you a head start on the parcticles that would otherwise be suspended in the very wine you want to eventually clear!

BUT! Keep in mind, if you want to transfer to a 5 galon secondary, you will have to have started with more than 5 gallons. Taking into consideration lees and leftover fruit chunks.

I personally, because of limited space have 3 gallon better bottles(carboys). Therefore I can make a 4 gallon batch in my 5 gallon bucket, transfer it to the 3, and have a little left for topping off.

So.. in conclusion, again mixed opinions. Ferment in an open bucket covered with a cheeese cloth, etc. Primary fermentation and secondary fermentation are quite different.

Troy

Last edited:
Thing is Bob, if you are using fruits or anything else that floats in the must, it is necessary to push down that "cap" at least once a day, twice is better. You want to keep those solids moist. it is very difficult to do in a carboy, or even in a gallon jug.

Troy

This is something I only do with pure juice, so fruit caps aren't a problem.

Back