Primary fermentation foam

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevenT

Junior
Reaction score
Little help?
I started with pure muscadine juice that I extracted from my muscadine vines.on 3/11/2022 I added sugar and water and other called for ingredients to bring S/G to 1.090. I then pitched yeast 24 hours later. On 3/15/22 the S/G was 1.060 and on 3/16 it was 1.042 so it appears everything is on the right track but I do have a thick foam that has formed on top and just wanted some input on whether this is normal? If so great and if not how to proceed? I have attached a photo of the foam in my primary fermentation bucket. I have been stirring and checking S/G at the same time each day. There is 4 gallons of liquid in the bucket and it’s a 6.5 gallon bucket. When primary fermentation is complete I plan to rack into a 3 gallon glass carboy.

Attachments

• C5A5E053-B75C-4416-9DA0-DFE45386429B.jpeg
    C5A5E053-B75C-4416-9DA0-DFE45386429B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
Foam is always good. Might want to stir a couple times a day. Yeast like oxygen at this stage.
No foam, in primary, should raise eyebrows.

And welcome to WMT! I have learned so much here!!!

If the foam becomes excessive or a problem, you might want to try a couple of drops of Fermcap-S Foam Inhibitor. It is available in most brew shops and Amazon.

Latest posts

Back