Primary Fermentation - Excessive Foam

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bartos

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all
New to the site and have questions and possibly could answer some. I normally make wine from grapes and in a large SS tank.

This time I ventured into a kit as my wife wanted a certain type of wine.
The issue I am having is that there is an excessive amount of foam in the carboy that is overfilling the airlock and going all over. The carboy is a 6.5 g (24.6 l) and I only added 23 l of the mix so there is headspace. THe fermentation action is producing plenty of foam and now exiting out of the air lock

Any ideas to help reduce the foaming
thank you

Welcome to WMT!

There is no need to ferment this in a carboy, or under airlock. You would be well-served to transfer it to a large food-grade bucket. 30L buckets are commonly used for this purpose.

There exists a food-grade surfactant (siloxane?) to keep foaming under control. I used to find it at winemaking supply stores, but not seeing it now.

Thank you for your quick reply.

I will look for a 30l food grade container or just use my 100l SS tanks and keep the top high off the must. I was going this way but thought since having a 24+l carboy would be safe. The next batch will go into the SS tank

Agreed, the SS tank is perfect. I was going to suggest a Rubbermaid Brute in 10 to 12 US gallon (38 to 45 liter) size. This size is manageable and Brutes are easily available, in the USA anyway.

Latest posts

Back