Primary fermentation airlock issue

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

facn1989

Reaction score
I'm on the second day of fermentation and it seems it has been pretty aggressive. Some of the juice went up through the airlock and I assume some of the solution (star san) got sucked back down into the wine. It wasn't a whole lot (a tablespoon maybe), but can this be an issue?

Thanks CDrew, that's a relief! Didn't know if this might create some off flavors although it's a tiny amount. You prefer to use Starsan over vodka? I've never tried vodka but hear lots of people use it

I've had it happen, no issues, not to say never though. I've started putting the lid with the airlock loosely on the fermenter if looks like it's going to be a big bubbler. No danger there - many people don't use airlocks at all during primary.

Thanks CDrew, that's a relief! Didn't know if this might create some off flavors although it's a tiny amount. You prefer to use Starsan over vodka? I've never tried vodka but hear lots of people use it

I've never used Vodka, but have used plenty of StarSan. I would guess the Vodka would evaporate much faster. Maybe an issue, maybe not. Once mine heads into bulk aging I use the silicone breathable bungs.

Latest posts

Back