Quantcast

Primary fermentation airlock issue

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

facn1989

Reaction score
I'm on the second day of fermentation and it seems it has been pretty aggressive. Some of the juice went up through the airlock and I assume some of the solution (star san) got sucked back down into the wine. It wasn't a whole lot (a tablespoon maybe), but can this be an issue?

CDrew

California Garagiste
Reaction score
In my opinion, you'll never notice it. I think that has happened to all of us, and it's a good reason to use StarSan in the airlock as it's basically harmless.

facn1989

Reaction score
Thanks CDrew, that's a relief! Didn't know if this might create some off flavors although it's a tiny amount. You prefer to use Starsan over vodka? I've never tried vodka but hear lots of people use it

LouisCKpasteur

Reaction score
I've had it happen, no issues, not to say never though. I've started putting the lid with the airlock loosely on the fermenter if looks like it's going to be a big bubbler. No danger there - many people don't use airlocks at all during primary.

CDrew

California Garagiste
Reaction score
Thanks CDrew, that's a relief! Didn't know if this might create some off flavors although it's a tiny amount. You prefer to use Starsan over vodka? I've never tried vodka but hear lots of people use it
I've never used Vodka, but have used plenty of StarSan. I would guess the Vodka would evaporate much faster. Maybe an issue, maybe not. Once mine heads into bulk aging I use the silicone breathable bungs.