Primaries?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PPBart

Reaction score
What size primary vessel(s) do you use?

My largest is a 32-gallon Rubbermaid Brute trashcan. Also use a 10-gallon Brute, a 7-gal (bought as part of my first winemaking equipment purchase, still gets regular use), and a 3-gallon Rubbermaid trashcan.

20 litre and 40 litre ones. Nothing bigger than that here. I like to be able to move them around once full.. Anything bigger and I'd need a winch..

Allie

I need some bigger primaries desperatly, just havent gotten around to getting any yet. i have 6 7.9 gallon primary buckets.

G,

You don't need a winch, you already have a Brute!LOL:D

Not only that, what about the Swedes in your yard, they're hard workers!

Oh boy!!..

I bought a couple better bottle 3 gal carboys yesterday. They're light waeight and I can move them. Carboys are heavier today than they were a year ago.(meaning I'm getting old), and them fill with liquid, it's getting heavy!! These 3 gallon beter bottles are a decent size, and light in weight to handle. The size of your primary is really gonna depend on where it goes from there. My point is a 5 gallon glass carboy filled with liquid starts getting heavy. Moving a 60LB cylinder seems like a huge risk, at least for me!!! LMFAO! I want to see how these 3 gal better bottles work out. I will sure share the results. Seems like an all in all beter way to go, pardon the pun.:D

Just something to think about.

Troy

Keep your eyes open for the 3 gallon water bottles too Troy.. they make great secondaries, take up less room than the better bottles ( they are narrower and taller).. I got a carload of them off the local ebay.. 2 and 3 gallon ones..I think there were 30 altogether for $16.

Allie

These 3 gal Better Bottles seem like a good product. I ran through their website quickly earlier, and they claim this is a "special" pllastic that is desighned for beer and wine fermentation.

On the bottom is the 1 in a triangle, there are other plastics out there with the same symbol.

They sure are lighter than glass!!!!!LOL:D

Troy

Just be careful as they squeeze much easier spraying out wine out of the airlock and if you dont use sulfite solution or vodka in the airlock yu could easily introduce bacteria into your wine when it sucks back in. You also cant vacuum degas in one of those.

we have:
-35 gallon plastic filter drum (for salt solution in filter systems)
-20 gallon pot w/lid(my dad is a cook and gumbo freezes well)
-8 gallon plastic fermentor bucket
-5 gallon pot w/lid

I realize this is an old thread, but thought I would just see how many people do actually use trashcans as primary fermentation vessels.
I've got a trip to Lowe's planned and I would like to make a double (or triple) batch of Dragon's Blood.

What kind do you use and what size?

We only use the brute trash cans. They are good grade. When you buy them in the store they are Grey in color. I have all three sizes and user all of them at some point during the year.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Wine Making mobile app

I have two 25 gallon stainless vats.
5 12 gallon brute trash cans
5 7 gallon buckets
6 5 gallon buckets
4 3 gallon
8 2 gallon i dont use any longer
25 1 gallon...i dont use any longer

Love my Brutes also. BTW Home Depot caught on.. No longer is the 20 gallon with lid under 20 bucks. Now, the can is priced alone as is the lid. I noticed it when I went to price the 10 gallon. I think that one is higher also, but don't really recall the 10 gallon price.

Pam in cinti

Latest posts

Back