Prickly Pear Cactus Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've tried the juice from it before, when making jelly. Not so good lol, I usually add lots of sugar. After that it's good. I'm trying to think of something to compare it too... Not coming up w anything.. maybe someone else can help out?

How it tastes: Cactus fruit has a taste similar to raspberries or watermelon, with a slight bite like kiwi fruit. The fruit is filled with small seeds which make it grainy to the tongue.

snowgirl812001 said:
How it tastes: Cactus fruit has a taste similar to raspberries or watermelon, with a slight bite like kiwi fruit. The fruit is filled with small seeds which make it grainy to the tongue.

Not sure if I agree on the raspberry/watermelon taste. Guess its pretty unique. Don't know if any of this helps but I tried lol

Well I just bottled the first batch. I am still having problems with my double lever corker though, can't seem to get a hang of it. As you can see in the pic some of them are sticking up:(

image-2180107062.jpg

looks awesome! I really think its variations in the neck of the bottles thats causing the problems, mine does the same thing and i know i seat it the same on the bottles each time

Thanks. Well, I can't do it by myself either lol. I have to have help. The one I did myself is sticking out by like an inch lol

Not sure if I agree on the raspberry/watermelon taste. Guess its pretty unique. Don't know if any of this helps but I tried lol

Hello Snowgirl! I want to try making some prickly pear wine using grape concentrate, what kind do you normally use white or red? and what would be a good yeast to use?

I too am making the prickly pear. I found a recipe that calls for raisins, but I think I'm leaning towards this recipe above. Thanks for the post! Oh, I too am using all juice as I already have it in the freezer for making jelly :)

Do you mind posting your recipe? I also want to make a prickly pear wine, but all I found was the recipe for mead...

Hello Snowgirl! I want to try making some prickly pear wine using grape concentrate, what kind do you normally use white or red? and what would be a good yeast to use?

I used white grape concentrate, but red would work also. I didn't want the color to be messed with much. As far as the yeast.... I believe I made a rookie mistake by not writing down the exact one, but it was either Red Star Montrachet or the Champagne.

Do you mind posting your recipe? I also want to make a prickly pear wine, but all I found was the recipe for mead...

I did a 6 gallon batch.

6 cans White Grape conc.
3 tsp energizer
3 tsp pectic enzyme
10 tsp acid blend
6 campden tablets
Prickly Pear juice to 6 gallons (I already had the juice in the freezer)

I added 9lbs of sugar so my starting SG was 1.100. You may want to cut that down a bit :dg

The second batch I did, I used raisins instead of the grape concentrate. Though so far, I think I prefer the grape concentrate. Hope this helps, and if anyone has any ideas or advice on the recipe above... please, feel free to critique!! I am still learning :D

I did a 6 gallon batch.

6 cans White Grape conc.
3 tsp energizer
3 tsp pectic enzyme
10 tsp acid blend
6 campden tablets

I added 9lbs of sugar so my starting SG was 1.100. You may want to cut that down a bit :dg

The second batch I did, I used raisins instead of the grape concentrate. Though so far, I think I prefer the grape concentrate. Hope this helps, and if anyone has any ideas or advice on the recipe above... please, feel free to critique!! I am still learning :D

Thanks a lot, I will start it tomorrow, I have plenty of cactus in my backyard, well this is New Mexico...;)

I did a 6 gallon batch.

6 cans White Grape conc.
3 tsp energizer
3 tsp pectic enzyme
10 tsp acid blend
6 campden tablets

I have another dumb question, your recipe says 6 gallons of juice, does it mean that you don't add water to this recipe? I thought that all wines need to have water...

You can use straight juice on about everything. Kits most always have you add water and strong flavored fruits sometimes might need tamed down a bit with water.

BOB

With the PP, I got the advice to just use the juice, no water. The flavor isn't very strong so you don't want to dilute it. It also depends on the method you use to get the juice. I boiled mine, mashed, & strained it to get the juice. We have plenty here also, I'm in AZ :D

in the middle is my second batch of PP. the bottle is from the first batch, hasn't lost any color yet

017.jpg

159.jpg

here is the second batch of pp i did with the raisins, finally figured out the dang corker and did it all by myself :try (a few still didn't make it in all the way, and one in front a little too far in, but a lot better than before)

006.jpg

Back