Price of wine at the Grocery store?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montanaWineGuy

Reaction score
Last time I was in the grocery store I was astounded at the price of a bottle of wine. Seems like there was a big hike in the prices. Is this just locally?

A couple of years ago, when the California drought was in full panic, I didn't notice wine prices moving much. I wonder if the inventory has been drawn down, and now the effects of the drought are being seen.

Interesting - The drought caused issues but most wine is no longer aged for several years as I understand. Nowadays long term aging (Beyond a year) is not considered desireable or even good. It's bottled and to market ASAP. BUT that said the drought just ended so last years crop could be the one coming to market now and last year was part of the ugly drought. AND you can be sure that once prices are up, they are no likely to come down again.

Another reason wine making becomes more interesting to people.

I help manage 20 acre vineyard and the biggest expense line is labor. With the CA minimum wage hiking every year, (and continues by $1/hr until it is $15/hr) you can expect the cost of the fruit to continue to be more and more expensive. I believe this and the crack down on illegal immigrant labor has really made a difference in the farming costs.

Other vineyards are much more mechanized, but still there are a lot of operations that have to be done by hand.

Last time I was in the grocery store I was astounded at the price of a bottle of wine. Seems like there was a big hike in the prices. Is this just locally?

A couple of years ago, when the California drought was in full panic, I didn't notice wine prices moving much. I wonder if the inventory has been drawn down, and now the effects of the drought are being seen.

What wine exactly are you speaking of? Down here, things are the same for most all of the $5 - $20 bottles, ie: Barefoot, Yellowtail, Apothic, Kendall Jackson, 7 Deadly Zins, etc.

Latest posts

Back