Preventing Malo in whites

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jared Retter

Junior
Reaction score
I have some whites I dont want to go through ML, a few look as though maybe they have started on their own? Tiny bubbles coming up... Do I So2 to try to end it? PH of 3.54 and SO2 at 6ppm best I can tell from testing currently...
Also, can I use distilled water when mixing Kmeta for my addition?

I have some whites I dont want to go through ML, a few look as though maybe they have started on their own? Tiny bubbles coming up... Do I So2 to try to end it? PH of 3.54 and SO2 at 6ppm best I can tell from testing currently...
I dont think malo really is a thing in whites because most of them have a higher acidity than would be good for malo. Although a extremely small group of whites are subjected to malo.

Just add sulfites.

Certainly, if you don’t want it to take place. To avoid adding water to your wine, you could thief a little out of the vessel, mix your sulfite with it, and stir it back in.

If your concern becomes that MLF may start in bottles after sulfite concentrations begin to wane, you may consider lysozyme: https://morewinemaking.com/view_product/15499//Lysozyme_-_150g

Unless your winery is completely trashed/contaminated with MLB from other wines and or your wine is going into a used barrel that has had other wines with MLB in it your odds are 0% chance of any spontaneous MLF. Those tiny bubbles are just the wine slowly degassing itself from CO2.

I have some whites I dont want to go through ML, a few look as though maybe they have started on their own? Tiny bubbles coming up...

Agree with @ibglowin. Depending on what I am looking to achieve I may or may not let my whites go through Malo. Example; for a crisper, brighter Chardonnay, picked earlier, aged in glass, no oak. For a Chardonnay the Mrs. prefers, higher brix, Malo, with oak.

Back