pretty much completely new

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

croppy

Reaction score
hello everyone,
i am pretty much very new to wine making, i did try once a few years ago but deployed to iraq before i got to finish and left it up to my wife and it never turned out. between changing duty staions and deploying i have not had really any time to get back into it. i did however have time to read...alot about wine making. after my current deployment i should have enough time home to at least get a batch bottled. im originally from NE ohio and i get most of my equipment from the grape and granary (their in ohio what can i say). i now live in like right on the tennessee and kentucky border.
the first batch i plan on making when i get back is a reisling from a kit. once i get the basics down i plan on moving away from kits and doing it all from scratch, dont know how long that will take but at least ill have enough wine to get me through it. i have looked at many wine making forums and this one seemed to be the best i have checked out so i decided to register. well thats my intro. looking forward to learning alot, and hopefully in the future (when i learn what im doing) helping out other new people.

-dan-
p.s. sorry for the long intro

Dan welcome to the forum. Glad you found us. Just pull up a chair and talk all you want. We're a friendly group and will answer any questions you have.

Welcome to a great hobby (obsession)
Before you start make sure you have a complete equipment kit.
There are alot of good Reislings kist out there what one are you thinking of?

Welcome aboard Dan...

Look forward to having you here. Thanks for what you do for us and our country.

Welcome to a great hobby (obsession)
Before you start make sure you have a complete equipment kit.
There are alot of good Reislings kist out there what one are you thinking of?

i was looking at the winexpert reserve kit (reisling), if there is a better one please let me know, i wanted to keep the price at or below 100 dollars, so any suggestions are welcome. i do have a full equipment kit.
thanks for the welcomes

-dan-

hey dan welcome!! thanks for serving!! i know how it is to jump around from stations, never easy! (but always fun in my books LOL)

and no worries for the long intro...that was actually not long at all!!

Last edited:
Howdy Dan, you have indeed came to the right place.

Ask away, we'll get you going.

Do you have any fresh fruits or berries available to you?

You must be at beautiful Ft. Campbell I was there for a while as a teenager had alot of good times there. I'm kinda new here but welcome you just the same it's a cool place with tons of info. Oh troy I know for fact he has tons of stuff there if he looks for it lol.

Howdy from NE Kansas. I go along with Troy/ Articsid 2 posts up. Forget the kits and get yourself some fresh fruit and get it into a bucket. Tis the season.
Brad

hello and welcome to the forum Dan,

the more, the merrier!

Allie

Hi Croppy,

Welcome to winemakingtalk. I am glad to hear that you felt we were the best that was out there. Everyone here treats everyone as friends and I believe that is because we all think of ourselves as friends.

You are on the track by getting a kit. This is a great way to get to know the process of wine making. But as someone else has said this is fruit bearing time. If I was use, get the kit but if you get a chance to get free fruit, take it and freeze it because you will be making wine from it. Rule of thumb is 5# of fruit per gallon

yaahh for the fort campbell guys n girls!
welcome aboard fellow west kentuckian!!!
us heartland folks gonna catch up with the PA people pretty soon!!
i started with a lambrusco kit, but was/is so caught up in this, that i've now got blueberry, peach, blackberry, and skeeter pee all in secondaries and just started a batch of beaujolais. i know u can get ur hands on some delicious peaches...go for it!

ohh peaches, a fried of mine made some peach wine one year and there was soo much alcohol in it that seemed more like a peach flavored whiskey, but we finished the bottle and i have been afraid of peach wine ever since then lol but i will give it a try at some point. thanks for the welcomes

-dan-

Welcome Croppy to our side of the net and thank you for all you do to protect us here and overseas! Please feel free to ask any questions you may have as thatsb why we sit in front of our computers, otherwise we'd just stay in our basements all day thinkingh up new things to ferment!

Welcome,
Pull up a chair, check out the forums. Fresh fruits, skeeter p, all the recipes, how to make all the different wines. Like the others said, if you have a chance, get some fresh fruit in the freezer, it will give you something to do this winter. Glad to meet ya. Arne.

ohh peaches, a fried of mine made some peach wine one year and there was soo much alcohol in it that seemed more like a peach flavored whiskey, but we finished the bottle and i have been afraid of peach wine ever since then lol but i will give it a try at some point. thanks for the welcomes

-dan-

the good folks on this forum :spmhave taught me/us tons of stuff...
they can help prevent u from making peach flavored rocket fuel, too
(winemakingtalk friends don't let winemaking friends make rocket fuel, lol)

-dan-

I and others make Peach Wine. When you have the peaches ask here 1st before making. We will help you make a great Peach Wine.

Latest posts

Back