pressure fluctuations ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tall Grass

Reaction score
This morning I woke up and found my 5 gallon carboy of fruit juice foaming all the way into the airlock and spilling over the top :m It's been running fine for a while now and never expected this to happen. Which variable changed in this equation? The only one that I can think of is the atmospheric pressure... a big thunderstorm rolled into town last night and did a lot of rumbling until just a few hours ago.

Has anybody else here seen this sort of thing happen when wheather systems move in and out of their living area ?

Warmer temperatures can also speed up a fermentation. Although normally not associated with a thunderstorm.

Perhaps you can give us some details of what was in the carboy. Especially, timing, specific gravities.

Steve

ya... specific gravities on this batch are impossible to determine as of this moment *lol* I'll just say that it's been about 4 or 5 days since I removed the airlock and it bubbling perfectly until this morning when it started to overflow through the airlock.

Tall Grass:

Are you doing primary (ie the initial) fermentation in a carboy?

Steve

Brometric pressures will also raise and lower the levelas you stated. there have been many times over the years where I had an inch or maybe even a little more room before the bung and then with a storm coming noticed that all the sudden there was no room left and wine was in my airlock.

I saw the atmospheric pressure effect a beer I had in primary last night. Luckly it was in a bucket with lots of head space.
Art

Latest posts

Back