Pressing before or after fermentation?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

three_jeeps

Reaction score
Hello:
New member here but not new to wine making. Started making wine 20 yrs ago for about 4-5 years, took 'off' for about 11 years, restarted making wine for last 3-4 years.
In any case....I got reconnected with some old wine making friends and we have a debate that I'd like an opinion on.
I've always washed grapes, crushed/destemed/pressed and then added yeast to first run juice only for fermentation in carboys.

This one fellow washes grapes, crushes/destems and puts 3-4 gallons of the mixture into a 'fermentation vat' (aka large plastic barrel), then after fermentation is complete, racks it into carboys, and takes the pressed out skins, adds sugar and makes second wine. ( could do second wine in my approach but don't)

I think my wine/process is better (of course) but am interested in hearing opinions on which process is 'better' first fermentation with skins or, pressing out and fermenting only the first run juice?....Comments?

I have 3-4 books on wine making and they all say ferment the juice. The only reason I am curious is this guy comes from a long line (100+ years) of italian home wine makers so maybe there is something to his approach)

thanks for comments
-J

IMHO, it would depend on whether you are using red or white grapes. If you are using red, I would do it the way your friends does. With white grapes, I would do it the way you do.

He is not right or wrong! He is simply making two styles of wine. One from free run and the other from press. This is quite common and you will get a different wine from both.

Some people like to keep the free run seperate from press and others combine. I prefer combination of both, to me there is more expression of terrior and complexity.

In the end, it is about the winemaker's artistic expression. Expression is a good thing. Cheers

Hi three_jeeps,

Welcome to winemakingtalk. Like said upon, you are both doing it right.

Now lets get down to some serious business, what three jeeps do you have?

Now Julie I believe this is Wine Making Talk. :)

I make both wines, free run and a secondary from skins especially from muscadine, the Brianna and LaCrosse. Even did an elderberry that way.

It's a different taste. Second contains more tannin and I add some sugar water.

I wouldn't do it from a merlot cab sauv. etc. except if I was making a skeeter pee.

Imy first would be a six gallon batch, second I would only make a three gallon batch so as not to have it be weak.

Steve there are just some things that go long with winemaking and need to be discussed here, :D

Last edited:
Hi three_jeeps,

Welcome to winemakingtalk. Like said upon, you are both doing it right.

Yes I forgot to mention..RED wine grapes: Cab, Zin, Carignane,

-J

Now Julie I believe this is Wine Making Talk. :)

I make both wines, free run and a secondary from skins especially from muscadine, the Brianna and LaCrosse. Even did an elderberry that way.

It's a different taste. Second contains more tannin and I add some sugar water.

I wouldn't do it from a merlot cab sauv. etc. except if I was making a skeeter pee.

Imy first would be a six gallon batch, second I would only make a three gallon batch so as not to have it be weak.

Specifically, I tend to do: 1) all cab/ruby cab grapes, or, 2)half zin, half Carignane about 2- 36lb boxes per 5 gal carboy.

For second wine, what I have done is press out the skins, add sugar water as you do, and only make about 2.5 gallons.

Typically have used domino white sugar...hmmm is there any better sugar to substitute?? "better" defined many ways: cheaper? more easily fermentable? more healthy? etc.

thank you!

Latest posts

Back