Pressing before fermentation is complete

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4score

Reaction score
Curious to hear from those who for whatever reason, pressed their must before it was complete. At what Brix reading did you press and did it complete after pressing? I understanding those looking to keep some RS but for those that don't want a sweet wine and pressed prior to completion, did it go dry?

Curious to hear from those who for whatever reason, pressed their must before it was complete. At what Brix reading did you press and did it complete after pressing? I understanding those looking to keep some RS but for those that don't want a sweet wine and pressed prior to completion, did it go dry?

I always press before dry, preferably in the 1.000 - 1.005 range if I can time it right. Never had a problem with fermentation continuing to dry from there.

I always press before dry, preferably in the 1.000 - 1.005 range if I can time it right. Never had a problem with fermentation continuing to dry from there.
Same I pressed my must yesterday after 6 days

Thanks. We pressed at 2.5 Brix yesterday because of timing/resources and now after a day of settling we see 2.5 Brix today. Hoping it rolls along soon.

Thanks. We pressed at 2.5 Brix yesterday because of timing/resources and now after a day of settling we see 2.5 Brix today. Hoping it rolls along soon.

Aha! I figured there was a specific reason for the question.
I usually aim to pick up and crush on a Saturday with plans to press the next Saturday. Can’t exactly press at a moments notice- especially when i was renting a press.
And 7 days after crush it’s mostly been <1.000.
Last year it got stuck around 1.003 for a few days. I was confident the O2 at pressing would inject some life back into it. No luck tho.

Maybe your brix went up a little after pressing out some sugar hidden in those skins. It should be up and running soon.

I prefer to perform a cold maceration, then press, then ferment.

But, sometimes I do ferment on the skins. In this case, I press before fermentation is complete. This CO2 produced by the continuing fermentation will help purge the air from the secondary fermenter.

I prefer to perform a cold maceration, then press, then ferment.

But, sometimes I do ferment on the skins. In this case, I press before fermentation is complete. This CO2 produced by the continuing fermentation will help purge the air from the secondary fermenter.

Can you elaborate on your cold macerating of the must? Large volume? And how long you going?
Seems like a great option but just not very realistic without some large controlled refrigeration unit or room.

I have a chest freezer, and added a temperature controller on the power line. This way I can control the temperature above freezing, usually about 40 DegF. I perform a maceration for about a week or so.

Sometimes I will introduce an enzyme to help extract color and tannin from the skins. But, you have to be careful with that stuff; a little goes a long way. Using too much will make the skins all slimy. The end result is great. both the "free run" and "press run" have such rich color.

Pressing before it going dry is not a recipe for maintaining a sweet wine. It may result in one, albeit potentially unstable. I’d bet your wine will go dry over time as the strong yeast fight through the harsh environment and find the remaining sugar.

Pressing before it going dry is not a recipe for maintaining a sweet wine. It may result in one, albeit potentially unstable. I’d bet your wine will go dry over time as the strong yeast fight through the harsh environment and find the remaining sugar.
I had a Grenache that was about 1.5 - 2.0 Brix and it just never got there.

Good news....there's a LOT of CO2 still in the wine. Shaking the sample and getting rid of the CO2 and then re-testing shows 1.25 Brix instead of 2.5. Going to leave it alone in the brutes for a day or two more before transferring to the barrel.

I just pressed my zinfandel this morning at 1.005 checked it and the air lock is bubbling away Ill wait a day or so and let the gross lees settle some more and rack again and take another hydrometer reading I have been doing it like this with every batch of fresh grapes I do no problems at all.

I find it depends on the grape and the style of wine you are intending. Press a Cab Sauv or Merlot at 12 brix and you'll leave a lot of tannin behind and be left with a softer wine to be consumed earlier. But if you leave a Marechal Foch on the skins for a week and you'll understand what the "Foch" aroma means when you drink it.

The RS is an entirely separate issue that is a choice of how you manage the fermentation/style, not when you press.

Latest posts

Back