Press for skins?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brant

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of an affordable and effective press that works for squeezing the last bits of goodness from wine skin bags (post fermentation)?

I'm not looking for something big or strong enough for pressing juice, just enough for skin packs. Or a "life hack" that doesn't involve a mechanical press but works better than muscling it by hand?

Much appreciated!

I have often wondered if something like this would work for an inexpensive press:
View attachment 85966

I have never tried it but if the plastic is compatible and the unit is adequately sanitized, it could work. They cost around $60 at Home Depot.

That's funny and very practical. Not sure how much pressure it would create but I'm sure it's sanitary enough if you disinfected it first. I was actually thinking about building a screw press out of a stainless pot. I have a GTAW setup and can fabricate one but stainless plate is so darn expensive.

I would consider carbon steel if I knew of an epoxy coating that would hold up and be food grade safe.

Does anyone know of an affordable and effective press that works for squeezing the last bits of goodness from wine skin bags (post fermentation)?

I'm not looking for something big or strong enough for pressing juice, just enough for skin packs. Or a "life hack" that doesn't involve a mechanical press but works better than muscling it by hand?

Much appreciated!
Inexpensive press:
Two 5 gallon food grade buckets, and a sturdy lid. One of the buckets (1st one) you drill holes into. That will be the bucket that you place your wine-skin bag into. The second bucket you leave as is and also buy a sturdy lid for it. The second bucket goes into the "1st" bucket (the one with the holes drilled. Press down on the second bucket. Sit on the second bucket. Bucket cost at Walmart about $4, Lid cost from $3 to $10 dollars (depending on type of lid).

I would imagine something like this would work. This would only be for skins from a kit, the volume of which tends to be modest. These units are stainless steel.

1. Norpro Stainless Steel Commercial Potato Ricer, 11.5in/29cm, As Shown

$49.99 on Amazon

1648060368608.png

2. HUAPX Potato Ricer and Masher, Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Food Ricer (11.6"L x 4.5"H) with 14 oz Large Capacity,3-in-1 Peeler and 3 Ricing Discs for Fruit Juicer, Cooking, Purees, Baby Food Press Squeezer

$20.99 on Amazon

1648060483487.png

I would imagine something like this would work. This would only be for skins from a kit, the volume of which tends to be modest. These units are stainless steel.

Rocky, thanks for bringing me back to earth. I need to just think small as this is all I need. Something I can put some noticeable force into like a handheld juicer. It might take 10 minutes to run a bag of skins but it is simple and cheap. I'm not squeezing hundreds of pounds of skins. Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08B86TGK6/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A388XQRE93ET9&th=1

I have often wondered if something like this would work for an inexpensive press:
View attachment 85966

I have never tried it but if the plastic is compatible and the unit is adequately sanitized, it could work. They cost around $60 at Home Depot.
I used that for a couple years, for small batches it works really well. Easy to clean and with a filter bag yields clean juice ready to pour into a carboy

"The last bit of goodness" ? Using a wine press properly, involves your sense of taste. As the wine comes off the press you taste it. It will change as the pressure increases. You stop pressing when you get something off the press that no longer tastes good. Some grape varietals, Barbera for instance, can be pressed dry, as the last wine off the press usually is the best. Others, not so much.

Latest posts

Back