Presque Isle Wine Cellars

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This week we were busy racking 2011's harvest into barrels.

IMAG0257.jpg

This is a view of a creek that runs by the winery just outside of the barrel room. A few hudred feet down stream is a small fish hatchery.

IMAG0242.jpg

Can I go there with my crazy straw? LOL I dont mean the stream Dan!!!!!!!

I love your property. Used to visit during the Northeast Wine Festival when I lived up that way.

Thanks DoctorCAD.

It was such a beautiful day today as we were busy bottling 2010 Merlot. Below is a picture of the of the sunrise this morning. Hopefully the groundhog will see his shadow Thursday!

IMAG0266.jpg

just beautiful! thanks for sharing! looks like you did some pre pruning..i start mine next monday!

Al many of the vineyards around here start immediately after harvest. Those would mostly be the Concords going to Welches. The better wine grapes are done much later as you mentioned.

Below we have listed several events to look forward to in the next couple of months.

February 3—Put to the Test Our instructor will review the importance of the following tests: sugar, Free So2, total acid, Ph and Chromatography Testing. You’ll learn when they should be measured along with a demonstration on how to run each test. This is a ‘hands on’ class where each attendee will have the opportunity to do some testing. Space is limited. 7:00pm-9:00pm $25.00. Reservations required.

February 10—Making Wine with Concentrates You don’t have to wait until grape harvest to make wine! Concentrates are a nice option to make wine any time of year. We’ll show you how it’s done and offer samples of wines made from concentrates, from dry to sweet. You’ll receive a Riesling concentrate and have the opportunity to bring a bottle of your finished product back to us in about 90 days (May 15) for judging! Each person present at the judging will be a judge. We’ll teach you how to judge a wine and the point system used in many wine competitions. 7:00pm-8:30pm. $90.00/ Fee includes this seminar, a concentrate and the wine judging in 90 days. Reservations required.

February 17—Vertical Wine Tasting A very special opportunity to taste the same variety wines from different vintages. These are PIWC wines and we will offer to you the vineyard from which the grapes came and what type of growing season it was each year. You’ll taste the difference and learn why growing conditions dictate the outcome of the wine. This is a unique experience, to have both the aged wines and the expertise available to share the details of each wine. 7:00pm-9:00pm $40.00

March 2—Winemaker’s Dinner Treat yourself to an evening of delicious food, incredible wines and a description of each from our winemaker. Learn why each wine was chosen for each course and what components in each wine make it such a good pairing. This knowledge will stay with you as you confidently shop for that perfect bottle of wine to have with your next meal. 6:00pm-8:30pm $50.00 Reservations required.

March 13—Wine fining and filtering Are you a little cloudy on how to clarify? We’ll make it crystal clear! You’ll learn about the fining agents that are available and when to use them along with your options for filtration. 7:00pm-9:00pm $20.00

Below is an updated list of upcoming events.

March 13—Wine fining and filtering Are you a little cloudy on how to clarify? We’ll make it crystal clear! You’ll learn about the fining agents that are available and when to use them along with your options for filtration. Marc Boettcher will be the instructor for this class. 7:00pm-9:00pm $20.00

March 20—It’s a Mix Up With summer just around the corner, we’ll help you create the perfect, unique beverage for those warm evenings on the deck. A chilled bottle of PIWC Sauvignon Blanc may be all you need but why not get creative and treat your guests to something unique. We’ll provide some tips on how to stretch the bottle of wine while making your guests feel special. Recipes included. 7:00pm-9:00pm $10.00

April 14th- A rare opportunity to taste the same variety of wine from different vintages. PIWC wines will be selected from our library for this exclusive event. Doug Moorhead will take you on a journey with each wine as he explains how the growing season and climate affect the finished wine. Enjoy select wines and gain insight on how time in the bottle affects the wine we drink. 7:00-9:00 pm $40.00/person Reservations required Location: Isle House

April 17—The Making of Specialty Wines: Port, Sparkling and Ice Wine 7:00pm-9:00pm $20.00

April 27—Winemaker’s Dinner Treat yourself to an evening of delicious food, incredible wines and a description of each from our winemaker. Learn why each wine was chosen for each course and what components in each wine make it such a good pairing. This knowledge will stay with you as you confidently shop for that perfect bottle of wine to have with your next meal. 6:00pm-8:30pm $50.00 Reservations required.

Events will be held at the Isle House which sits adjacent the winery at 9488 W Main Rd in North East, PA. Please make reservations by calling the winery at 814 725 1314 or 800 488 7492 or by email at [email protected] This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it We reserve the right to cancel an event if we do not have enough people registered to cover the cost. If this is the case, you will be notified and 100% of your money will be refunded.

Friday, April 6, 2012 Presque Isle Wine Cellars
9440 West Main Road
Hurry! April 20th deadline! North East, PA 16428
2012 Curico Valley
Chilean Grape Juice Pails
Don’t miss out!! Reserve your order by April 20.
Pick up at the winery the weekend of
April 27-29, 2012
CALL TODAY! 1-800-488-7492 or order online
PIWC is very excited to introduce our newest product– fresh Chilean Juice!
Easy and Fresh—This juice is fresh from the 2012 harvest, balanced and ready to ferment! No water to add. Yeast is added already. Visit our website to learn more.
Click here for a list of varieties offered and prices.
Because this is a fresh product we can’t ship it but we promise the trip to our beautiful creekside winery will be worth it. In addition to the juice we’ve got great wine, food and fun waiting for you at our lovely Isle House.
Enjoy a homemade chocolate treat prepared by Chef Sue Mills of Crescent Catering thoughtfully paired with PIWC wine.
Come on Friday, April 27 to enjoy our Fondue Friday, Sip and Dip Event!
Join us for lunch! We have delicious soups, bread and dipping plates and specialty pizzas for your enjoyment.
Offering 15% discount on dry red wine purchases April 27-29!
Concentrate Warrior? These juices are a quality, convenient, and less expensive alternative to concentrates so give them a try! Preorder and use codes CHILE2012 or CAR15 for a special discount.
New Winemaker? We’ve got you covered with our best in the business service and advice. We have a complete Chile 2012 Deluxe 6 gallon Winemaking Kit and a Chilean Juice pail of your choice (must preorder). Use code NEWBIE for a special discount. Order yours today.

Chilean Juice arrived today for pick up. Remember if you puchased pails you get a 15% discount on 6 gallon carboys.

IMAG0335.jpg

Long before I knew about winemaking discussion forums and whatnot, back when I still had a local wine shop to buy from, I was told by a fellow winemaker that she got all her supplies from Presque Isle Wine Cellars, so I have known the name quite a while. Been fun browsing your pix!

Dan,
I almost stopped in today. I had to go to Erie to pick up some insulation and passed a sign saying North East 15 miles. I thought about you but had to get back to Franklin. Maybe next time!
Phil

We used to have a Presque Isle branch here in Fargo and boy do I wish it was still here. My good friend Mike ran the place and he and I founded our local chapter of the AWS. Unfortunately he passed away suddenly 5 years ago. The Red River Valley AWS is still thriving today. Now that I am trying to get my winery off the ground I could use that store back.

Picked up my two pails of Malbec and two carboys today. Got to spend about a half hour with Kris Kane. Dan you are truly fortunate to have such an awesome mentor.

Latest posts

Back