Preserving vs Aging Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FYI...wine does not magically "turn into vinegar". It may become oxidized or lose flavors, but making vinegar is a unique process that takes skills.

In making a proper vinegar this is probably true. However it has always been my understanding that anything fermented wanted to ultimately turn to vinegar. Our goal is to try to prevent this from happening.

Update - I set the house temp to 68 degrees for the 2 week departure; hoping to slow the remaining fermentation process and moved to the next step of clarifying. The wine has a SG of .996. Since there was a fair amount of sediment at the bottom, I racked it again.

The interesting thing I noticed is that degassing was less effort - did not need to worry about creating a wine volcano.

Whenever I take a SG reading, I always sample the wine. The extra 2 weeks made a difference in how drinkable the wine was as this stage. Not saying it was ready, but at this stage I can barely choke it down.

Seems at this point that the extra fermentation time did not ruin the wine; maybe degassed it a bit more.

Update - I set the house temp to 68 degrees for the 2 week departure; hoping to slow the remaining fermentation process and moved to the next step of clarifying. The wine has a SG of .996. Since there was a fair amount of sediment at the bottom, I racked it again.

The interesting thing I noticed is that degassing was less effort - did not need to worry about creating a wine volcano.

Whenever I take a SG reading, I always sample the wine. The extra 2 weeks made a difference in how drinkable the wine was as this stage. Not saying it was ready, but at this stage I can barely choke it down.

Seems at this point that the extra fermentation time did not ruin the wine; maybe degassed it a bit more.

Back