Prepping corks for bottling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let ask this in clarification: Do corks need to be in sealed packages when purchased? For example, at my LHBS, corks are displayed in bulk in a wicker basket. No idea how long they've been out. Are there criteria I should use to inspect these prior to use? (Main reasoning is that my equipment kit came with 30 corks, in a paper bag.)

Let ask this in clarification: Do corks need to be in sealed packages when purchased? For example, at my LHBS, corks are displayed in bulk in a wicker basket. No idea how long they've been out. Are there criteria I should use to inspect these prior to use? (Main reasoning is that my equipment kit came with 30 corks, in a paper bag.)

personally, i wouldn't use those corks - if they have been left out in the open there is virtually no way to satisfactorily sterilize them and their quality is also compromised by being exposed to air (they lose moisture, elasticity, pliability, freshness and texture)

i can't even believe a LHBS would do such a thing, that's pretty irresponsible and/or lazy IMHO.

you have to consider, this cork is going to be in direct physical contact with your wine for a very long time - you want something that is as clean as possible and as fresh as possible. bulk corks that have been allowed to dry out and for people to handle them directly will neither be clean nor fresh.

I agree with Rawlus, I have even seen the LHBS sell corks packaged in paper bags. Leading me to believe they bought in bulk and repackaged.

I have a few LHBS's around here but really only go to 2 of them and vary rarely! NBoth of them sell corks that are just sitting in a bin open to everything and 1 of those places have about 3 4 dogs there everyday walking around (great dogs by the way and my kids love t go to this place) and those corks are right at the level where there ball bounces all the time. Ive actually had to get their ball out of that bin and the ones with the bungs also! Sealed bags for me only. If I open a bag of corks and it doesnt at least slightly smell of S02 I dont buy corks there anymore. Once that bag gets opened at my house those corks go right into my corkidor!

Latest posts

Back