Other Premium kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sag12

Junior
Reaction score
Was wandering lately why did we have to add water to premium kits? :ft
I did asked the question to my local WineExpert retailer, he had no clue as to why we should add water to their's (and RQ's premium kits also), Limited Edition or high end products. I heard Mosti Mondiale have a limited edition that came in a 23 lt version. Any answers or thoughts about it?

I've read a couple articles that mention that sometimes even grape wine makers add water to their must to reduce the sugar levels. It seems that with the tendency to wait to the last possible moment to harvest sometimes the sugar levels are so high that potential alcohol is up towards 16%. Personally I believe that may play a role, but I also think it's a compromise between shipping costs and quality.

The concentrated juice in a wine kit starts out as grape juice that was pressed from wine grapes after they were picked. Water is removed from the juice in order to make the concentrate. The fruit sugars and solids that remain in a concentrated form are so high that bacteria cannot grow in this culture.

The concentration process is, therefore, a preservative measure. This is why some level of concentration of juice in wine kits is a good thing.

Fruit juice reconstitution is why we add water to the juice that comes in our wine kits. The water reduces the sugar levels back to the original levels in the fruit juice. The reconstituted juice typically gives you a starting SG reading, specific gravity being a measure of the sugar level in the juice, in the vicinity of 1.080. This SG level has proven to be well suited for yeast growth.

other premium kits

You mentioned WE and WHY when referring to the kits. do you work for a kit manufacturer?

corinth

Latest posts

Back