Preferred sanitizer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I need to purchase some sanitizer, I had a fruit kit in which it was included, but now I am out. What is the preferred sanitizer? I read about Star-San, then there is K-Meta, and I am sure there were more. I am confused!

I like Easy Clean, by LD Carlson. "No-rinse oxygen-based cleanser for beer and winemaking equipment. Use one tablespoon per gallon of water and allow two minutes contact time."

Oxyclean and other per carbonate cleansers are not sanitizers, they are cleaners. I'm sure they do kill some microbes. But cleaning and sanitizing are two separate steps.

For sanitizing, I use a sulfite/citric acid solution for some things (rinsing bottles, etc.). For most other equipment, hoses, etc. I use StarSan. Note that these contact sanitizers do need to contact the surface for more than a few seconds. Follow instructions.

Oxyclean and other per carbonate cleansers are not sanitizers, they are cleaners. I'm sure they do kill some microbes. But cleaning and sanitizing are two separate steps.

For sanitizing, I use a sulfite/citric acid solution for some things (rinsing bottles, etc.). For most other equipment, hoses, etc. I use StarSan. Note that these contact sanitizers do need to contact the surface for more than a few seconds. Follow instructions.
OK So Star-san for sanitizing is on my list, for just general cleaning I understanding that Oxyclean is good is that right?

1) Dawn for cleaning - As with any cleaner, rinsing is important.
2) Star San for sanitizing equipment I like the foam that says you got everything coated. Great in my jet bottle washer (Ferrari) as the foam coating is clearly visible. Not having to rinse is nice of course.
3) K-Meta in the wine itself.

1) Dawn for cleaning - As with any cleaner, rinsing is important.
2) Star San for sanitizing equipment I like the foam that says you got everything coated. Great in my jet bottle washer (Ferrari) as the foam coating is clearly visible. Not having to rinse is nice of course.
3) K-Meta in the wine itself.
I personally would lean towards Oxyclean for cleaning. Dishwashing soap is really hard to remove, leaves a film (to keep hard water spots from forming). I don't even wash my wine or beer glasses with it unless they get really bad. The threshold level to be able to taste it in an alcoholic drink is very low.

Just my opinion, I've only been homebrewing since 1990, so I'm sure there are more experienced brewers/winemakers around this forum who can chime in.

Dawn - the basic stuff doesn't have the 'no spots' chemicals and I've never had it leave any film.
Avoid the Antibacterial versions etc. Only use the Most basic version of Dawn.

Last edited:
OK So Star-san for sanitizing is on my list, for just general cleaning I understanding that Oxyclean is good is that right?

Yes, I use oxyclean for cleaning and it works well. By the way, another good cleaner is PBW (powdered brewery wash) originally developed by Coors. This is an alkali cleaner and can come in handy to help remove stubborn bits and tartrates. On smaller scales, I used to soak my carboys with this if they were stained. I use it regularly in the winery to clean tanks.

for just general cleaning I understanding that Oxyclean is good is that right?

I am sure it is fine. So is, in many winery related cleaning tasks, depending on what needs to be cleaned:

- A pressure washer.

- K.meta solution (it acts an an oxidizer to remove stains) with a good stiff brush and elbow work.

- If you have to remove grease or oils, a cheaper, mix your own cleanser (which is basically similar to Oxyclean):
  • 1 cup water + 1 cup homemade liquid soap nuts (or 2 cups water if you don't have soap nuts)
  • 1 cup hydrogen peroxide
  • 1 cup baking soda or washing soda

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back