Preferred method for sealing 1 gal glass carboys

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Miller

Too many hobbies
Reaction score
I've been using rubber stoppers to seal the one gallon carboys after thoroughly degassing my wine and setting aside to age. Have been having problems with two carboys with the stoppers coming out. Yes I've dried them. I'm now using the screw on caps. Any thoughts on the caps? I'm not too excited about maintaining air locks.

Popping stoppers tell you your wine is still gassing off or possibly in MLF as NorCall stated. Maintenance of airlocks is just part of the process. Screw caps are fine IF there is no more gas to be released. I use plastic screw tops drilled for airlock - no popping of tops with those, just check and refresh the airlocks every few weeks.

Drilled rubber stopper with an airlock is what I do. Topping up the airlocks is quick and easy to do. But then, l am a putterer in the wine room. All must be turned the same way with the airlocks facing the same. Guess that makes me anal. Wow...

I find the screw caps once opened tend to leak. I use the same method as a full size carboy but with a smaller insert Then air lock.

I've been using the vented silicone bungs in my 5&6 gal carboys, but have not seen any that would fit the 1 gal size. Where are you finding them? Beano....I like my airlocks all organized the same also!

Thanks for the link. These are the ones I'm using for my 5 and 6 gallon carboys. Never thought to try them in the 1 gal jugs. Always learning....that's what seems to make life interesting!

Latest posts

Back