preferred buckets and varietals...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muskie003

Reaction score
two part question here:

1. I just picked up three buckets of juice (all different varietals) and all three of them are from a different "company" or brand name on the buckets. I never really paid attention to any correlation between brand and finished product. Just wondering if anyone had a preferred brand or maybe even one that they thought was no good? in the past I've used Toro Negro, Mosto Bello, Lodi Gold, Alma de Chile, Uva de Chile, Mosto Imperatore, Estrella del Sur, Collina del Sole..... I've certainly had some batches turn out better than others but I can't say it had anything to do with the juice source

2. someone told me that it was difficult to master a pinot noir. Are there "easier" and "harder" varietals to make wine from in terms of finished product?

I actually could use some advice from you on the Mosto Bello, I just bought 6 gall and the kid at counter said theres yeast in it already..is this true, and if so do you recommend adding bisulfite to kill off and then pitch my yeast packet?

I actually could use some advice from you on the Mosto Bello, I just bought 6 gall and the kid at counter said theres yeast in it already..is this true, and if so do you recommend adding bisulfite to kill off and then pitch my yeast packet?

If it’s naturally occurring yeast from the grapes, you can go that route. If they added cultured yeast, sulfite probably won’t kill it off, but you can still add your yeast of choice and hope it overpowers the one that they added.

did my initial measurements, getting SG of 1.092, pH over 4 (narrow range ph strip) and TA of .375
is this pretty normal for a bucket of juice? Was also wondering if I will need to add some tannin (recommendation on how much) because the juice is lacking skins

I never added sulphites to juice pails before pitching. Although last year I did have one kick off before I was ready. All good tho.
Those numbers are tough. I wouldn’t argue adding a touch of tartaric to dial it in. But Because it’s a juice pail- sometimes the numbers are skewed and you end up in good ranges later on somehow- so not adjusting is also an option.
Only negative for now would be if doing MLf and it drags out longer- leaving wine unprotected for some time with a high ph. Don’t think there’s a wrong decision. Just dont add too much if adjusting.

You may have already, but you have to mix the juice really well to get accurate measurements.

I would adjust acid post fermentation based on taste. MLF may be not be required as acid level is so low I doubt of it would benefit let alone if there is any large amount of malic acid.

did my initial measurements, getting SG of 1.092, pH over 4 (narrow range ph strip) and TA of .375
is this pretty normal for a bucket of juice? Was also wondering if I will need to add some tannin (recommendation on how much) because the juice is lacking skins

What kind of bucket is it? Brand and varietal?

Some makers do adjust acid to the buckets. And they just adjust with acids other than tartaric for a good tasting balanced wine. And the amount of acids in the TA level seem low but may just have enough of a stronger acid like malic.
The high ph might cancel that out tho.
**Check the print on the bucket. If it’s printed on there that it’s pre-adjusted for acid then I wouldn’t touch it.

What kind of bucket is it? Brand and varietal?

Some makers do adjust acid to the buckets. And they just adjust with acids other than tartaric for a good tasting balanced wine. And the amount of acids in the TA level seem low but may just have enough of a stronger acid like malic.
The high ph might cancel that out tho.
**Check the print on the bucket. If it’s printed on there that it’s pre-adjusted for acid then I wouldn’t touch it.
Musto Bello Sangiovese from Corrados, I stopped by there today and picked up the BM4X4 yeast instead of the red star (thanx for the advice guys) and some tartaric, Based off the numbers on the TA titration I might have needed to add 1.5 ounce of acid. I added 1 ounce and retested with the ph strip....looks like its coming back to the neighborhood between 3.6 and 4 so im gonna retitrate later this week and see if I need the other 1/2 ounce.

@Ajmassa5983 can you give me a quick tutorial on MLK...Corrados was out of the cultures but expect them in again Saturday

@Ajmassa5983 can you give me a quick tutorial on MLK...

I am not AJ, but perhaps I can help a little:
Martin Luther King Jr. (January 15, 1929 – April 4, 1968) was an American Baptist minister and activist who became the most visible spokesperson and leader in the civil rights movement from 1954 until his death in 1968. Born in Atlanta, King is best known for advancing civil rightsthrough nonviolence and civil disobedience, tactics his Christian beliefs and the nonviolent activism of Mahatma Gandhi helped inspire.

That's kinda why I went off titration...I bought strips st wine supply, and were significantly off from the ones I use at work...hoping the math pays off

Strips are innacurate. Just as cmason said- basing acid adjustments off strips is risky. Use em to stir your TA test samples!
They do sell cheap ph meters on amazon for like $12. With proper care* they can last u quite a while.
Aight. Here’s everything you’ll need to know for MLF, the conversion of the stronger malic acid into softer lactic acid. Helps the wine calm down and makes it better earlier, among other things. Almost 100% of commercial reds go thru MLf. It can also happen naturally just like alcohol fermention. But pretty much anyone who wants MLf inoculates thenselves.
Added Sulphites in the wine prevent MLf. So typically your waiting for some time after both alcohol and maleolactic fermentation to complete before stabilizing with k-meta. Can be a few weeks to a few months. As long as topped up tho no sulphite is not an issue. Only way to know for sure is test kits or strips. Some just wait a couple months and proceed w/o tests.
You can co-inoculate malo during fermentation (24-48 HRs after yeast) or after. I like during because the low abv Enviroment helps it start quick and finish quick. Cmason likes after, which is the standard boring way. :) Co-inoculation is kinda new school - but works awesome I think. Neither are wrong.
The added bacteria latch onto the malic acid to convert. This bacteria can get buried in the lees too. So common practice is to stir it all up a couple x a week to aid it along. Also likes slightly higher temps. 75° ish is ideal during MLf. None of that is 100% necessary. Just helps. So does the use of malo nutrient when Pitching malo.
Forget corrados for all needs. Your limited. Sites like morewine.com have EVERYTHING you could ever want.

Lol...auto correct on phone...MLF

No worries.

But it could be worse. Every time I see MLF while reading, being slightly dyslexic, I often mentally slip an "i" in there. Yes, the result is totally different. And if you don't know what I am referring to then that is probably good: you are a very sweet person, even if a bit sheltered. :h

Back