Pre-ferment specifics

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guttoc27

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all

Just started my first batch with actual fruit (not-from-concentrate, if you will). In my case it's banana. Just a couple questions below associated with some of the steps prior to pitching, which I'm assuming can be extended to many other fruit types.

In my case, I froze the fruit first, then thawed, brought to a boil in water, reduced heat and simmered for about 30min, let cool, then added K-Meta. That's where I'll pick it up...

1. After K-Meta... before Pectic Enzyme (the 8, 10, 12, whatever Hr window):
- Dissolve K-Meta in water, or sprinkle on must and stir in?
- Cover with... Sealed container? Under airlock? Loose lid? Towel? Etc?

2. After Pectic Enzyme... before Yeast:
- How long before pitching (i've seen varying opinions)?
- Again, dissolve or sprinkle & stir?
- Again, container covered how?

3. At time of pitching yeast:
- More K-Meta?
- Yeast nutrient directly in the must? Or with a Starter?

Thanks all for your insight and sharing from your experience!

Hi all

Just started my first batch with actual fruit (not-from-concentrate, if you will). In my case it's banana. Just a couple questions below associated with some of the steps prior to pitching, which I'm assuming can be extended to many other fruit types.

In my case, I froze the fruit first, then thawed, brought to a boil in water, reduced heat and simmered for about 30min, let cool, then added K-Meta. That's where I'll pick it up...

1. After K-Meta... before Pectic Enzyme (the 8, 10, 12, whatever Hr window):
- Dissolve K-Meta in water, or sprinkle on must and stir in?
- Cover with... Sealed container? Under airlock? Loose lid? Towel? Etc?

2. After Pectic Enzyme... before Yeast:
- How long before pitching (i've seen varying opinions)?
- Again, dissolve or sprinkle & stir?
- Again, container covered how?

3. At time of pitching yeast:
- More K-Meta?
- Yeast nutrient directly in the must? Or with a Starter?

Thanks all for your insight and sharing from your experience!

1. I just add my kmeta directly to the must and stir in.

2. I normally wait anywhere from 12-24hrs. after pectic before adding yeast.

3. No more kmeta when pitching yeast. Nutrient should have been added already(prior to pitching yeast). You will then add more as the ferment progresses(step-feeding).

Thank you!

What do you do to cover the container during the steps before pitching (KMeta, Pectic)? Do you put under airlock? Or just cover with a lid?

Thanks again!

Thank you!

What do you do to cover the container during the steps before pitching (KMeta, Pectic)? Do you put under airlock? Or just cover with a lid?

Thanks again!

I just lay a loose lid over mine during pre-fermentation and fermentation. Some people will use a towel. This allows for the needed oxygen at this stage of the process and makes it much easier to be able to stir daily.
Once dry(below 1.000) then I transfer to a carboy and put on an airlock.

I agree that you really want to add nutrients during the lag phase (while the yeast is building and strengthening cell walls - things like GoFerm are really effective) but if by nutrient you mean "DAP" - I think you really want to wait for the yeast to begin fermenting before you add any ammonium to ferment. The yeast need the nitrogen but before they are fully rehydrated and actively engaged in fermentation I understand that the nitrogen can bind to the cell walls and cause all kinds of problems

Not a big fruit wine maker, but I thougt boiling was the number 1 no-no in wine making...

Latest posts

Back