Powdered tannin

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineview

Still waiting.........
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found a package of Tannin among my supplies. Under what circumstances would I use this and when should the addition be made?

The TL/DR answer is that tannin added during fermentation helps stabilize color in red and dark fruit wines. Added at any point it add body, structure, flavor, and reduces excess fruitiness (assuming you don't want that fruitiness).

For red wines I currently use shredded toasted oak during fermentation and oak cubes during aging. I may (or may not) add a small amount of powdered tannin to white wines, and add a varying amount to fruit wines (more to darker fruit).

For more information regarding use of oak, following is one article that covers a lot.

https://winemakermag.com/technique/using-tannins-purposes-sources-and-use-in-winemaking

The TL/DR answer is that tannin added during fermentation helps stabilize color in red and dark fruit wines. Added at any point it add body, structure, flavor, and reduces excess fruitiness (assuming you don't want that fruitiness).

For red wines I currently use shredded toasted oak during fermentation and oak cubes during aging. I may (or may not) add a small amount of powdered tannin to white wines, and add a varying amount to fruit wines (more to darker fruit).

For more information regarding use of oak, following is one article that covers a lot.

https://winemakermag.com/technique/using-tannins-purposes-sources-and-use-in-winemaking
I am planning on adding 2 ounces of oak chips during primary. Would adding tannin be too much?

I am planning on adding 2 ounces of oak chips during primary. Would adding tannin be too much?
Why wine and how large is the batch? I add 3 to 4 cups of shredded oak to 144 lbs of grapes (that's most of a pound). IMO if you're adding oak chips to what I assume is a red, there's no need to add tannin powder.

Why wine and how large is the batch? I add 3 to 4 cups of shredded oak to 144 lbs of grapes (that's most of a pound). IMO if you're adding oak chips to what I assume is a red, there's no need to add tannin powder.
That is what I was thinking. Does the powder do the same job as chips?

That is what I was thinking. Does the powder do the same job as chips?
Supposedly. I prefer oak as I am more comfortable with how it functions. It may be that I simply prefer the use of oak instead of dumping powder in the wine.

I just realized that making red wine from grapes has an atavistic feel; it's the traditional way of doing it. [This is funny, as I don't hold to tradition when better methods are available.]

I use tannins in my red wines for better color and protection against oxidation and for the sacrificial effect, I like. Laffort VR Supra tannins they are the best I have used. For white wines Laffort galalcool is great.

Back