Potential problem?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Philosopher

Amateur
Reaction score
Panic Post #47:
Wondering if I have a potential problem with this plum wine. I started only two weeks ago, and apparently misunderstood something I read, because I racked to my secondary at SG 1.029. After a few days, I took the SG of the secondary, and it has slowed in it's decline. I realize I probably racked too soon, and it's only been 2 weeks, but am I headed for problems with continuing fermentation? SG is currently at 1.016.
Here is a graph of how my SG is behaving:

SG - wine.jpg

You should be OK. I would bring the temp up to 70 (what is it now?) Remember the 3 P's? The gravity should continue to go down to the .995 range.
Fruit wines will take longer to ferment than Kits.

Fermentation will always decline rapidly like this so dont panic. There are many ways to skin a cat, I like to let it ferment out in primary with all reds and most fruit wines that wont oxidize very easily but will rack off white and delicate fruit wines like apple or pear wines early as they can brown very easy. I like to rack thsee early wine right about where you did but stir it all up to make sure I dont leave any viable yeast behind. I think youre in good shape there and just need to let it go as it sounds like it is doing fine. Do get the temps up around 72* though if you really want this to go very dry!

You should be OK. I would bring the temp up to 70 (what is it now?) Remember the 3 P's? The gravity should continue to go down to the .995 range.
Fruit wines will take longer to ferment than Kits.
It hovers between 68F and 72F. I know...be patient. :i
What about ambient light? The carboy is in a fairly bright room, during the day, no lights at night.

Fermentation will always decline rapidly like this so dont panic. There are many ways to skin a cat, I like to let it ferment out in primary with all reds and most fruit wines that wont oxidize very easily but will rack off white and delicate fruit wines like apple or pear wines early as they can brown very easy. I like to rack thsee early wine right about where you did but stir it all up to make sure I dont leave any viable yeast behind. I think youre in good shape there and just need to let it go as it sounds like it is doing fine. Do get the temps up around 72* though if you really want this to go very dry!
Okay, one last question (yeah, right...): If I assimilated my lessons like a good grasshopper, "dry" means getting it down around .990-.995, or so. So what's considered "wet"? :) I'm probably at between 10%-12% alcohol right now :se
At what point should I consider stabilizing? At .990 I could be looking at 14% abv!

When you have a stable Sg meaning an sg that hasnt changed for 3 days in a row. Adding something before then wont do diddly!

When you have a stable Sg meaning an sg that hasnt changed for 3 days in a row. Adding something before then wont do diddly!
Hahaha! Well, since I only ended up with a 1 1/2 gallon batch, at 28 Proof, that ought to be quite a party for 3 adults! :rdo

Back to this quandary, Wade. It looks like this plum stuff is going to stabilize on it's own around 1.005. I started at 1.100.
So does that qualify as "stuck fermentation", or at that point should I just call it good, even though it didn't "dry out" according to Hoyle?

i am more worried about skinning cats. I have three. Please be more sensitive when using these type of remarks! Either tell me how to do it, or I may have to make something up on my own. Oh yeah, OP's wine. it'll be fine. Staring at a wine for to long, or messing with it to much will make you crossed eyed.
LOL!!

Troy

That works out to about 12.5% which is pretty good for a plum wine, actually a tad hgh but not bad. I dont recall what yeats you used as that would be the main factor if you are stuck or if you have pushed the limitations on your yeast but either way thats fine cause thats not much residual sugar in my book. Are you going to sweeten this batch or is that sweet enough for you or did you really want it dryer?

That works out to about 12.5% which is pretty good for a plum wine, actually a tad hgh but not bad. I dont recall what yeats you used as that would be the main factor if you are stuck or if you have pushed the limitations on your yeast but either way thats fine cause thats not much residual sugar in my book. Are you going to sweeten this batch or is that sweet enough for you or did you really want it dryer?
:u My SG has been at 1.010 for about 4 days now, but the airlock is still perking away. CO2 maybe? Actually, the stuff tastes purdy darn good right now. The lees are just a thin gray film on the bottom.
Regarding the yeast, out of necessity I used plain old bread yeast. :< Made a starter and added it to the must.
I'm going to have to let it sit for another 2+ weeks, because I won't get my stabilizer until then.
Right now it's in a 3 gal carboy, and only half fills it. I think I'd be wise to rack it into smaller containers, and ignore it until I get the chemistry to stabilize it. I can't remember this instant if degassing is before stabilizing, or just before bottling. (?)

about degassing.. both
degas before stabilizing and before bottling (its you LAST CHANCE)
I check and degas every racking :h

It hovers between 68F and 72F. I know...be patient. :i
What about ambient light? The carboy is in a fairly bright room, during the day, no lights at night.

Do you keep your carboy covered with a towel or something?
My carboys are in a fairly bright room but I covered them with a towel.

Like BEER, Light can affect Wine. I have fleese carboy covers. When all in use I put a brown bag ober the carboy. Just cut a hole so the airlock can get through.

When I go grocery shopping I get paper not plastic when asked. And I now have a use for it.

When I go grocery shopping I get paper not plastic when asked. And I now have a use for it.
I can just go into my little store and ask for a half dozen bags. I think they're still working to the ones they stocked in 2005! :h

Latest posts

Back