Potato Anise Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shayne Edwards

Reaction score
I think this will be my next wine attempt as my ever loving and forgiving wife loves Sambuca and all things liquorice. The recipe calls for boiling 5lbs of potatoes without breaking the skin, you use the liquid as the base. Have to ask why, surely it doesn't add starch to the mix. Can anyone give a reason? Thanks in advance.

boiling may change starch to sugar similar to grain boiling for beer. take sg reading after cooling see if it has some level of sugar. if so try apple juice next time save the labor let alone potatoes.

boiling may change starch to sugar similar to grain boiling for beer. take sg reading after cooling see if it has some level of sugar. if so try apple juice next time save the labor let alone potatoes.
It won't. Mashing grains to convert starch to sugar requires enzymatic activity. Potatoes won't have much of any enzymes active, unless they are actively sprouting (at which point they are somewhat poisonous). And the enzymes required are denatured above about 70C, and completely destroyed by boiling for any length of time.

It really intrigues me why he used this approach. That said when I do it I will check SG to see if it makes any difference.

Just don't stuff it up by adding too much anise, mate! LOL A little goes a long way with that spice. Are you growing it yourself? Because the leaves and stems also have that licorice taste - not just the seeds.

Post the recipe, Shayne - or give us link.

Latest posts

Back