Potassium sorbate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The purpose for glycerine is to smooth out the harsh notes and add body. Glycerine is not fermentable
The purpose of sorbate is to stop yeast or mold from reproducing, usually when back sweetening to stop refermentation from starting. ,,, Dosage is a function of alcohol. There is a risk of off flavors with age. Sorbate is not needed with dry wine.

Would adding glycerin at bottling require potassium sorbate?

As far as glycerin goes, I'd like to add some but don't know what brand to use. On Amazon there's lots of economically priced vegetable-based glycerin. As these suitable for wines?

selection criteria
* is the glycerin sold as food grade?
* is it transparent, or when you look at it is there dirt? ,,, glycerin is filtered so it should always be clean
* is there a lot number that you could complain to the vendor about?
Glycerine is derived from the backbone from fats which are being turned into soap. ALL glycerine should be food grade. Basically all should be usable in wine. ,,,
As far as glycerin goes, I'd like to add some but don't know what brand to use. On Amazon there's lots of economically priced vegetable-based glycerin. As these suitable for wines?
I have had some LD Carlson chemicals without a lot number, they are convenient but I wonder who packs their product.

I purchase food grade glycerin by the gallon on Amazon. It's about 1/4 the price of the small bottle available at my LHBS. I support my local store as much as possible, but on some things the price break is too great. Note that I use glycerin for liqueurs (1 oz/liter) as well as wine (1/2 to 1 oz/4 liters), so buying by the gallon makes sense for me.

I purchase food grade glycerin by the gallon on Amazon. It's about 1/4 the price of the small bottle available at my LHBS. I support my local store as much as possible, but on some things the price break is too great. Note that I use glycerin for liqueurs (1 oz/liter) as well as wine (1/2 to 1 oz/4 liters), so buying by the gallon makes sense for me.

This is getting a little off topic but I have 3 local supply shop near me and non of them do much catering to wine making.

Thanks... the only thing with that is that it is a massive amount... I only make about 25 t0 30 gallons per year. Does it stay shelf stable for a long time?

This is getting a little off topic but I have 3 local supply shop near me and non of them do much catering to wine making.
Bummer! Beer is a more consistent revenue stream, so it makes sense to focus on it. My LHBS covers all bases and has a good stock of kits -- wine and cider -- it make the wine side of the revenue stream more consistent.

Thanks... the only thing with that is that it is a massive amount... I only make about 25 t0 30 gallons per year. Does it stay shelf stable for a long time?
My current jug is about 1.5 years old and is fine. However, at the amount you're making, even at 1 oz/gallon, you're looking at a 4 year span. I'd be leery of buying a gallon at a time.

OTOH, if you start making liqueurs, it will get used up faster. In recent years I've made limoncello, limecello, cherry-cognac, and orange-cognac. I have a few others in mind, including an orangecello.

thanks.. i wonder what the shelf life is once opened... I posted the question on Amazon.

I bought my glycerin at the drug store. I figure medical grade is as good as food grade.

Good idea. I ordered some from Amazon. I'm going to trial some with a gallon first. Does the glycerine take immediate effect ? Or am I letting it sit fir a while ?

Good idea. I ordered some from Amazon. I'm going to trial some with a gallon first. Does the glycerine take immediate effect ? Or am I letting it sit fir a while ?
Unlike other additives, glycerin is effective quickly.

Keep in mind that I avoid overthinking things, so when it tastes good I stop. The final taste month afterward may be a bit different, but I've not been disappointed.

Back