potassium sorbate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i am currently working on a batch of hard iced tea. it is a five gallon batch. when started i used 5 gallons of arizona iced tea and mixed in 6 pounds of cane sugar. i know its alot of sugar but i wanted it strong. anyway my problem is that i was ill informed about potassium sorbate and added 1/4 teaspoon per gallon to try to stop fermintation because it has been going for three weeks. well anyway fermintation did not stop and glad it didn't because it is still way to sweet. do i have to add more sorbate if i have to sweeten after fermintation or will the stuff i already added do the trick. i don't know if adding more will have bad effects. thanks for any help.

Keep tasting it and when it gets to where you like it, set it in the refrigerator for a few days and the fermentation will stop. Then, add 1/2tsp of K.sorbate/gal. and you've got it. It makes little difference whether it's wine or hard iced tea, the process is basically the same.

You need to add k-meta, Im still not sure on the sorbate but i think youd be all set on that.

Keep tasting it and when it gets to where you like it, set it in the refrigerator for a few days and the fermentation will stop. Then, add 1/2tsp of K.sorbate/gal. and you've got it. It makes little difference whether it's wine or hard iced tea, the process is basically the same.

i already added k sorbate. adding more won't hurt it?

i am currently working on a batch of hard iced tea. it is a five gallon batch. when started i used 5 gallons of arizona iced tea and mixed in 6 pounds of cane sugar. i know its alot of sugar but i wanted it strong. anyway my problem is that i was ill informed about potassium sorbate and added 1/4 teaspoon per gallon to try to stop fermintation because it has been going for three weeks. well anyway fermintation did not stop and glad it didn't because it is still way to sweet. do i have to add more sorbate if i have to sweeten after fermintation or will the stuff i already added do the trick. i don't know if adding more will have bad effects. thanks for any help.

No personal experience here but talking from hearsay.

Adding more Sorbate might impart a bubble-gum taste to the wine.
That is some info i have got from various winemaking sites.

So I would taste before adding more.

Luc

i already added k sorbate. adding more won't hurt it?

I don't know if adding more would hurt but I doubt it. You've already added 1/4tsp per gal. Adding another 1/4tsp/gal. would bring you up to what is prescribed for stabilizing. Also add 1/4tsp of K-meta or 5 camden tablets crushed.

Latest posts

Back