Potassium Sorbate Mistake

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pknight736@

Junior
Reaction score
I do not really know how I did this but I knew the second I did it I needed some input from people who know the answer.

I added a Potassium Sorbate packet to my juice mixture before adding the yeast. I knew the second I did it but I was committed. I went ahead and added the yeast after reading a few blogs about what the PS is used for in the process. It appears the yeast will still ferment the juice, although at a lot slower rate. Anyone out there have any thoughts on how else I might handle the issue? Add more yeast? Let it ferment for a much longer period of time? Any comments would be apprieciated.

You’re gonna have a hard time getting that to work. Potassium sorbate doesn’t kill the yeast but it does hamper its ability to reproduce.

. . . or 3, or 5! Reproduction might not be needed.

$5 is better than wasting your juice (never throw out juice, never!)

Last edited:
Since it inhibits the multiplication, you “could” make a starter using some simple syrup, get the yeast really going through some replication cycles slowly add must to the yeast (just like you would a starter) and then add it into the primary.

Since it inhibits the multiplication, you “could” make a starter using some simple syrup, get the yeast really going through some replication cycles slowly add must to the yeast (just like you would a starter) and then add it into the primary.
People studying yeast counts for beer report sugar doesn't seem to increase cell count. Probably would have to throw in some nutrients.

I always forget about starters, because I'm a 'sprinkler'! That's great advice, if you have questions on how to do it, ask here and someone will help (I'm not a pro on this topic).

K sorbate‘s effect is related to the alcohol concentration, ex. at alcohol of NN use X:
10% . . 0.20 g/liter
11%. . . . 0.17 g
12%. . . . 0.13 g
13%. . . .0.10 g
14% . . . 0.07 g/liter
* you probably can get the fermentation to start since you will be at 0% alcohol. You will probably reach a point where it gets stuck (8%? where beer kills weaker yeast? ? ) and you will produce a sweet wine which is not microbially stable.
? . ? . a question is what level of sorbate is the kit designed for, if I was designing a kit, I would be doing over kill with the intent to build in safety. ? . ?
* if I wanted the fermentation to run to dry or table sweet I would dilute at least 1:1 now
* several posts are about adding yeast, extra “new” juice would be a good place to build up a yeast population, ,,, your risk is that there is enough sorbate in the kit at 0% alcohol to prevent reproduction, sprinkling one or even ten packets of yeast isn’t much population in comparison to what falls out after a normal fermentation ,, if I went this direction I would do at least half a gallon grape juice and ferment it a day or two so the population builds up, then add it into the kit,,, this is similar to the logic of taking the lees from an old primary to start skeeter pee, ,, that said do you have another primary with lees? in which case use em.
* a last ditch (and not long term stable) K sorbate produces sorbic acid which is the active ingredient, raise the pH to at least 4.0 and then after fermentation is finished, add tartaric acid to drop it back to where wine is stable

K sorbate‘s effect is related to the alcohol concentration, ex. at alcohol of NN use X:
10% . . 0.20 g/liter
11%. . . . 0.17 g
12%. . . . 0.13 g
13%. . . .0.10 g
14% . . . 0.07 g/liter
* you probably can get the fermentation to start since you will be at 0% alcohol. You will probably reach a point where it gets stuck (8%? where beer kills weaker yeast? ? ) and you will produce a sweet wine which is not microbially stable.
? . ? . a question is what level of sorbate is the kit designed for, if I was designing a kit, I would be doing over kill with the intent to build in safety. ? . ?
* if I wanted the fermentation to run to dry or table sweet I would dilute at least 1:1 now
* several posts are about adding yeast, extra “new” juice would be a good place to build up a yeast population, ,,, your risk is that there is enough sorbate in the kit at 0% alcohol to prevent reproduction, sprinkling one or even ten packets of yeast isn’t much population in comparison to what falls out after a normal fermentation ,, if I went this direction I would do at least half a gallon grape juice and ferment it a day or two so the population builds up, then add it into the kit,,, this is similar to the logic of taking the lees from an old primary to start skeeter pee, ,, that said do you have another primary with lees? in which case use em.
* a last ditch (and not long term stable) K sorbate produces sorbic acid which is the active ingredient, raise the pH to at least 4.0 and then after fermentation is finished, add tartaric acid to drop it back to where wine is stable
This is a wine expert kit, so it is a measured amount packet. I will gather the materials needed and get that added today. Thank you for your advice.

By all means sprinkling is a good way that's how your kit was design

Thanks to all that responded to my post. I started out with the easiest solution suggested, adding additional yeast. After two additional yeast packets, I have attained the SG I needed. It took three more weeks than expected but it worked. We shall see what the ultimate taste is but I expect it to be as good as my last Malbec batch several years ago.

Thank you all for your input and help.

I feel that you know this, but will say it as a precaution. Make sure that you use Sorbate before sweetening, as you have used the kit's reserve.

Note: I just failed to do that a few days ago, while bottling a batch. I caught it after a few, but bottle bombs were in play!
Another advocate for impeccable note taking.

Last edited:
Back