potassium metabisulfite

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rattrapsc

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all, A newbie here, I plan to try my first attempt at a 3 gal batch of strawberry wine. I have researched and understand the basics of what I will need. I am confused about which stage that I would want to use the potassium metabisulfite. Some say put it in must at beginning of fermentation, others say put it after fermentation right before bottling. Which is correct? I may want to back sweeten a little after fermentation and will use potassium sorbate for that. (if I back sweeten). I have quite a few frozen strawberries in freezer and want to make good use of them.

Welcome to WMT!

The additions before and after fermentation have two different purposes.

Pre-fermentation, the intent is to inhibit wild (and non-preferable) strains of yeast from kicking off fermentation.

Post-fermentation, the intent is to inhibit spoilage organisms and to limit the effects of oxidation.

Personally, I would skip the pre-ferment sulfite and just pitch commercial yeast.

as @sour_grapes stated, that is correct, as well some add at every racking, every 3 months,, 1/4 teaspoon per 5 to 6 gallon carboy/batch,
Strawberry is a very tasty wine, go heavy on fruit or concentrate, and when getting ready to bottle back sweeten to bring out the flavor of the strawberries, it is key for country wines,
check out this single fruit/berry site, www.colomafrozen.com ,,,, i use them quite a bit,,,
Dawg

Thanks to both of you for your replies, If I may, allow me to let you know my intentions and let me know if you agree. I plan to make 3 gallons. I plan to use a total of 12 lbs. of strawberries out of freezer. add sugar until I get a SG of 1.100. I plan to use lalvin 71B yeast along with a yeast nutrient. Does this seem like I am on the right track?

Strawberry was one of my earliest wines and I used 4 lbs/gallon and 71B. I was happy with the yeast choice but if I make it again I'll increase the strawberries by at least 50%. If you plan on making more fruit wines I suggest you treat the recommended amount of fruit in a recipe as the absolute bare minimum - and increase it.

The starting SG of 1.100 might be a bit high for strawberry. Potentially you may get an ABV around 14% and the alcohol may overpower the "delicate" flavor. (Yes, 4 lbs/gallon, it will be delicate.) Back sweetening will bring back some of the flavor but with a lot of alcohol I can see the possibility of over sweetening.

Good luck. Live and learn.

And welcome to WMT!

Latest posts

Back