Potassium Metabisulfite

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

hounddawg

Dawg
Reaction score
Yes, I use S airlocks with Vodka and little to no evaporation. I like the sterile quality that vodka provides.
a K-meta solution works as well, and i was asking @ChuckD , some use a 3 piece which are horrible with evaporation , and many, many on here use cheap alcohol in our airlocks as well ,,, going back many years
Skoal
Dawg

ChuckD

Supporting Members
Reaction score
I have been using the three piece ones and there is a lot of evaporation. I do have a few S airlocks. Next time I rack I’ll switch them over. Or get some of those vented bungs.

I think I’ll switch to vodka in them too.

Kross

Reaction score
On the other hand, I tossed all my S-locks as once they get crusty, cleaning them is REALLY hard. 3-piece locks are easy.

Everyone has their pain points! ;)

Vented bungs kick ass.
Where can you purchase vented bungs?

Benjie

Junior
Reaction score
I have been using PBW to clean and Star San to sanitize. Meta K seems so caustic, is there a benefit to using that over Star San?

hounddawg

Dawg
Reaction score
On the other hand, I tossed all my S-locks as once they get crusty, cleaning them is REALLY hard. 3-piece locks are easy.

Everyone has their pain points! ;)

Vented bungs kick ass.
YEP. i throw my cruddy S airlocks away no cleaning,, and i've read much about the ventless silicone ones it is a hard habit to break,
oooooh shucks, i will try a few on some of my whites, I'll need to prove to myself, before i an use on a red,
Dawg

Latest posts