Potassium Metabisulfite in the airlock

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
:confused: A couple questions. I'm still a newbie in the practice. I've made one batch of hard cider and one batch of chiatin. I just started my second batch of wine, barolo. Alright with my questions:

I performed my first racking at day 6 (today), almost day 7. I checked my specific gravity and it was at 0.996 (Started at 1.100). I think this is a little on the low side for the first racking, what do you think?

I then followed the directions and added yeast nutrient to the batch. Is this a rookie mistake (or just a stupid mistake)? I'm not trying to make a liquor here so I want the wine to be tolerable. If I made a mistake is there way to fix it?

Also, I've read about potassium metabisulfite in the airlock. What is this for? and is it necessary?:eek:

At .996 SG it is likely finished or very nearly so. Adding nutrient at this point won't get anything going if the sugar has already been consumed but it shouldn't hurt anything either. Meta bisulfite in the air lock prevents any kind of organisms from entering the carboy through the air lock. Some folks just use vodka in the air lock. It is possible to get a bit of the air lock contents sucked back into the carboy during atmospheric changes and in that case vodka or K-meta wouldn't hurt anything. Personally, I just use plain water and never had a problem.

chiatin? a new type of chia pet? I suspect you mean Chianti.

This barolo sounds like it might be a kit. Which kit? or what directions are you following?

I use water in my air locks. As Sacalait said some folks use K-meta or vodks.

Steve

What directions tell you to add nutrient at this stage and how much are you making and how much nutrient did you add? Since it is done fermenting it may leave an off flavor in your wine but will most likely settle out.

Back