Potassium Metabisulfite fell through airlock

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmitch747

Junior
Reaction score
I'm in the second stage and transferred from the bucket to the carboy on 4/17. I'm using Potassium Metabisulfite solution in my airlock, 2 grams per gallon of water. Yesterday I slid the carboy out from under the table where I keep it to take a peek, then pushed it back. When I pushed on the carboy I noticed that I the airlock released a lot of air and then sucked the solution down into the wine! I'm assuming the pushing put too much pressure on the airlock. Maybe 1 tsp fell into the wine. I'm well before the stage where I'm supposed to be adding this stuff, and just hoping I haven't ruined anything! Again, it was a tsp of solution, but just need to hear from someone this will be ok.

There are alot of users more qualified than me but I would say you are OK. Watch the fermentation to see if it slows or stops but it will probably keep right on going.

You should be fine. No need to put K-meta in the airlock. Some use Vodka or plain water. :b

Yes, I'll probably use water from now on! (I would just end up drinking the vodka, haha) I'm super excited, my first time making wine and just to see that stuff drop into the wine made me freak out. I'm feeling better now :h

You will be just fine. It happens to me ALL the time and I use Sodium Meta Bisulfate which has even more sulfites in the solution.

Im guessing its a plastic carboy. I dont like water cuase it can get contaminated although have never heard of this happening myself. I use the pot meta solution myself and have gotten some in my wines at different times during fermentation and never had a problem. It is hard to stop a fermentation in progress.

That's all great news, I'm feeling MUCH better! And yes Wade, it's a plastic carboy (just a beginner, hehe).

Latest posts

Back