potassium metabisulfite and potassium sorbate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I understand is that K-Meta dissipates over time, so use it at each 3 month racking. Sorbate is used when your wine is finished, ready to bottle, ad to prevent re-fermentation if you are adding sugar to sweeten.

Expect the unexpected - Don't wait until the last day, hour, minute to add K-Meta and K-Sorbate. Additives of any kind may, on some occasions, cause precipitates to drop out, or there may be some off-gassing. Plan ahead or delay the bottling at least a day to a week after adding K-Meta and K-Sorbate. One of the biggest mistake you can make is rushing things. This isn't like adding sugar to your coffee or tea.

Do k meta and Sorbate need to be hydrated? Also, when adding to carboy, is it necessary to use a wine whip to insure a good mix or will it distribute itself.

Do k meta and Sorbate need to be hydrated? Also, when adding to carboy, is it necessary to use a wine whip to insure a good mix or will it distribute itself.

I don't hyrdrate mine or purposefully mix it, but I do put it into the bottom of a carboy and rack onto it. I figure there is enough water to mix it well and the racking action should mix it quite well. But, I typically do not add the sorbate until the wine is totally clear, could be bottled and there is little to no lees on the bottom of the sending carboy.

Agree with cmason1957. Rack on top of it - you can check after the carboy is about 1/2 full to see if there are any particle swirling around but most times it mixes well without additional stirring unless you had clumps in the material

I use a drill mounted stirring rod to mix anything I add into the wine. I used to do what Cmason and Scooter do and never had a problem ... but since I have the tool, I use it. it may not help, but it doesn't hurt.

My understanding is that as long as a wine is stable, you can add sorbate/kmeta and immediately bottle. I've done it many time with no ill results. However, very few things in wine making are harmed by giving it an extra day or three. If you feel better with a waiting period before bottling, do it.

Should k-meta or k-sorbate be mixed in water prior to adding to the carboy or can we just add the contents directly and stir the mix ? I'm trying to avoid adding water when possible.

Should k-meta or k-sorbate be mixed in water prior to adding to the carboy or can we just add the contents directly and stir the mix ? I'm trying to avoid adding water when possible.
I prefer to do so as sorbate has given me issues with dissolving in the past, so o add the smallest bit of distilled water that I can. And dissolve and add.

Never been able to or want to rack 100% of a carboy contents so adding at least an ounce of liquid is going to be needed. OR use a little of the wine you are racking to dissolve the K-Meta and K-Sorbate.

Most times fresh products will dissolve without pre-mixing. Pre-mixing is fine if it makes you more confident.

I pour the kmeta & sorbate into the wine and stir. Never had a problem with clumping -- but I pour in a stream and make sure the powder is not clumping in the bag.

I pour the kmeta & sorbate into the wine and stir. Never had a problem with clumping -- but I pour in a stream and make sure the powder is not clumping in the bag.
Last time I had chunks of it in my wine even with stirring. So that's why I started dissolving it

Thanks guys. I think I will try to dissolve it in a little bit of the wine in a container first, then dump the contents in the carboy and stir.

Was it clumped in the package? I'm honestly surprised, never had it clump before.

Bentonite? Clumps every time. :)

In any case, if pre-mixing it works, don't fix it!
No it came out of a jar, it was specifically from EC Kraus with a packing date of the day before i got it. Like it was freshly packaged.

The only bentonite that i have never had in my life clump is the speedy bentonite from EC Kraus. All the kit bentonite has been a pain in the arse.

Typically I dont use it anymore, Ive mostly swapped to using Kieselsol and Chitosan as my only clarifying agent because they work in just a few days.

I finally learned with bentonite that you have to mix it the day before you need it. Put it in a small jar and shake the daylights out of it, then let it sit over night and shake again before adding to the wine. The other thing is pouring it into water slowly, Those clumps are EXTREMELY irritating and difficult to get rid of.
BUT having said that, I still prefer the use of less chemicals. I've read too many stories of color stripped and other unexpected surprised from the chemicals route.

I have always followed the kit instructions which usually have you start with 1/2 gallon of HOT water, slowly sprinkle in the bentonite while stirring. I've only had a problem with clumping if I try adding it too fast. I do the same with my fruit wines. K meta and K sorbate I dissolve in 1/2 c of water before mixing into the wine. I don't consider 1/2 c of water really diluting 6 gallons of wine. That's not much more than a couple of ice cubes.

Latest posts

Back