Potassium Metabisulfite and Bees

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Violante

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Callout to my bee-keeper friends here. I've had a couple hives not make it through the winter and I sent out the bees for evaluation at the Maryland center. It does not look like EFB or AFB. Maybe Nosemia. In the meantime, I want to clean and sanitize the hive and frames. Most sources say to use a sodium hypochlorite spray (1 part to 5 parts water) which is much higher than the 1:10 we typically use in the prehospital EMS realm. It seems a bit harsh to me. I was wondering if there was a use of a KMETA solution in the hive, where I would leave a shallow tray in the bottom and let the fumes permeate the hive for some time, much like we do with carboys. There are no bees in the hives. Any thoughts?

I would worry the gas it gives off would suffocate the bees if not thoroughly dissipated.

Might be similar to moth balls which give off naphthalene and that either kills wasps or causes them to abandon nest when they can’t breathe.

I use a 1:9 level to disinfect garden pots and seed flats. I have cleaned hive boxes with a similar level. I would use the 1:5 solution. I have also used a torch to burn off the potential disease.

I feel your pain. I thought I didn’t have any left last spring and discovered a swarm had taken up residence in a stack of hive boxes. They are still queen right and I’m trying to split.

I would use the 1:5 dilution. I would guess that the 1:10 you use is for non-porous inorganic surfaces. If your boxes are wood they probably have at least a moderate amount of organic debris, (propolis/wax), you would probably need a higher concentration. If you apply/dry/air out I don't see a downside. If your concerned rinse afterwards and allow to dry.
Don't have any idea if meta would work but would suspect that the organic debris would also inactivate a good portion.

For more specific guidance, you might want to consult with experienced beekeepers or even reach out to local beekeeping associations or experts. They may have insights on the safety and efficacy of using KMETA in beehives, especially when there are no bees present. Additionally, if you're interested in learning more about keeping bees away from certain areas, you can check out the article on How To Keep Bees Away. It might offer some tips to prevent unwanted bee presence in specific locations. I hope you find a suitable solution to clean and sanitize your hives effectively while ensuring the well-being of your bee colonies.

Latest posts

Back