Potassium, but how much?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M38A1

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oddball question here.....

My 94 year old Dad needs to avoid potassium but he loves the blueberry wine I make which got me thinking - "How much potassium is in the wine I make"?

I use K-Meta for pre-fermentation killing off of bacteria prior to yeast toss at the rate of 1 Campden Crush per gallon. Then I use 1/8tsp per gallon to stabilize/store. I also use potassium sorbate at 1/2 tsp per gallon to stop fermentation prior to back sweetening.

If we assumed 5 bottles per gallon, can one work backwards to calculate the amount of potassium in a bottle of wine with the above numbers?

Hopefully a chemist can chime in otherwise I suggest finding a lab that can test it for you. Blueberries aren’t hugely rich in potassium so perhaps make a batch with no Kmeta or sorbate for him and calculate content from blueberry quantity and volume.

Did you use 100% blueberry juice or did you dilute while making up the must before fermentation? I would expect the potassium content of the 100% juice to vary, but posted figures are around 760mg/l. The 1/2tsp potassium sorbate yields approximately 69mg/l potassium, and the campden tablet and the 1/8 tsp powder together yield 129mg/l potassium. The total is 958mg/l potassium, so per 750ml bottle would be 718mg potassium. The dilution effect as well as potassium associated with any water that may have been used, has been excluded from these numbers.

Thanks Stickman.....
I've made two Blueberry versions.... One with straight blueberries and the above ratios and the other was Daves Dragon Blood with all blueberry.

From your numbers above, I'm estimating you get five glasses out of a 750ml bottle so roughly 143mg potassium per glass. I'll have to check with my mom, but that might be too much for him now.

Again, thanks.

Latest posts

Back