Potasium Sorbate ????

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plato

Reaction score
How long should I wait after adding the campden tabs to add the Potasium Sorbate? After adding the Potasium Sorbate, how long before I can sweeten and bottle?

I was told those two products are all Ill need, is this true?

Only add sorbate when fermentation is complete and you are going to sweeten.

That said - i add k-meta and sorbate at the same time - i wait about a week then sweeten..

What Jon said, and I wait 1 - 3 mos before bottling.

Add meta as soon as your fermentation is complete. I add the additional meta needed, sorbate and sugar at the same time (about a month before bottling). I personally don't see any reason to wait to add sugar a week after adding sorbate (I used to do this also), commercial wineries don't do it either.

I do it the same way Runningwolf does. I've always added sugar, potassium sorbate & campden at the same time.

I do it the same way Runningwolf does. I've always added sugar, potassium sorbate & campden at the same time.

ditto here....i just make sure that i do my k-meta and sorbate addition first, then warm up a little wine and dissolve my sugar in it, let it cool a bit, and then into my carboy it goes....

Is there any harm adding sorbate even if you don't back sweeten?

Sorry to hijack the thread....:i

I wouldn't. It can give a bubble bum taste to the wine.

I am actually trying to get away from using that all together using absolute filtering.

Whats does the absolute filtering do? Is this a different process than traditional filtering or is this something different all together?

I wasn't aware of the bubble gum flavor potassium sorbate would give to dry wine, but if you're not going to backsweeten at all, why add it? That's like putting premium gas in a rental car.

Latest posts

Back