Potasium Metabisulphate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desmond2

Junior
Reaction score
Hi. I have a 5G wine kit. Calafornia Connoisseur

The directions are Crap. In the first stage is the line
Take the specific gravity before adding the yeast. For assistance reading the hydrometer see "Hints for success". Item #3

The Sachets are numbered #2,#3,#4

This caused confusion and I added #3 (Potasium Metabisulphate)

They talk about a package #5 which doesn't exist.

Have I destroyed the wine by adding Potasium Metabisulphate strait away. Can adding yeast still save the day.

You should still be fine. There's a lot of people who like to add some K-meta to their juice before they pitch yeast.
Especially with the yeast that a lot of these kits come with. What Type of yeast is it? If EC-1118 or something similar you won't have any issue.
Also just make a mental note, those directions are more of a guideline. Especially the bottling timeframe. A lot of people will age it in the carboy for many more months before bottling.

And the "package 5" that doesn't exist just doesn't exist for your kit. But there are others that include other things like oak chips or something, that otherwise have the same exact instructions.
So they use the same set of instructions for a few different kits. But Usually it would specify and say something like,

"if this kit contains oak chips (package #5) then you'll add that to your juice at this point. If your kit does not have oak, just proceed to the next step".

You'll want to make sure you get more K-meta prior to the completion of fermentation . Some instructions say you can use sodium meta (which probably came with your kit for sanitation purposes) but almost everyone recommends not using it and using K-meta instead.

Welcome aboard!
You'll do fine if you just wait 24 hours and then pitch the yeast like Julie said.

In the meantime, search on YouTube for your kit. I'll bet you dinner someone has posted a video "how-to" that will help it make more sense.

It was one of those videos that got me interested. Now there's no turning back and my wife is wondering who is going to drink all this? ... I'm beginning to wonder myself ...

Hi Thanks

Julie has taken time to list all the brews. I was under the impression that Potasium Metabisulphate killed of yeast and prevented any more fermantation.. Bubbles are rising so that looks good.

What is the difrence between
Potasium Metabisulphate and
Sodium Metabisulphate which I use to sterilise the containers and equipment?

Potasium Metabisulphate and Sodium Metabisulphate which I use to sterilise the containers and equipment?

For sterilization purposes: either.

For stabilizing wine: Potassium.

Sodium Chloride is regular table salt. Sometimes you see Potassium Chloride as a salt substitute. It doesn't taste as salty.

Similarly with Sodium Metabisulphite and Potassium Metabisulphite. When used to stabilize wine, the Sodium form will add more saltiness, so stick with the Potassium form.

When you sanitize equipment, not enough sodium or potassium sticks to the equipment to make a difference.

The Sodium form is cheaper, so use it to sanitize equipment. On the other hand, if you buy the Potassium form in bulk (8 oz), it is cheap enough to use, and then you have some left over when racking wine. You also eliminate the risk of mixing them up.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back