pot sorbate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B-well4200

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm not sure if I have a major brain fart today or what but I am questioning myself here. I just bottled 5 gallons of beautiful blueberry wine today. Here is my problem.... yesterday I racked it, added 5 campden tablets, added 1/4 teaspoon pot sorbate per gallon (as the label recomended), sweetened with a sugar syrup (2:1 sugar to water). Then today went and bottled and labeled. Just after I got done I panicked alittle...did I add enough pot sorbate? The label recommended 1/4 teaspoon per gallon but did that mean if you were sweetening it? Someone please give me some good news here, thanks.

Your fine. Relax have a glass of wine to take the edge off.
Sorbate comes in different strengths you must have a strong one @ 1/4 tsp per gal. I hope you added 1 1/2 tsp for all 6 gallons not just 1/4 tsp. That is where some make a big mistake.

As long as you ultiplied that by the amount of gallons made then youre alright. A little advise here though is to give it about a week after sweetening to make sure it doesnt start to ferment again cause you really dont want exploding bottles or corks popping, trust me on this. Ive only had it happen once and it was becuse I was interupted in the process by a sreaming kid and must have forgotten to put it in and had a few corks pop in my wine room and it is very messy, Those shrink capsules saved me from mostt of them exploding though as only 2 popped their corks while the others were still held in place by those capsules thank God!

hhhhewww. That is a relief to hear. I normally wait about 2 weeks after I sweeten it to bottle. But I had a good bit of head space and I didn't want to water it down any with topping it up. Which leds to another question: Would that headspace do any harm for about a week even after I have added the campden tablets? Oh yeah, I did multiply the 1/4 teaspoon per gallon by five (5 gallon batch).

Latest posts

Back