Posting using FireFox

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

Reaction score
O'Fallon, MO - Just NorthWest of St. Louis, MO
I am probably the only Luddite left still using Firefox often for browsing. I noticed that the post editor doesn't seem to quite work right. You can preview, type whatever you want, but the icons (Bold, add smiles, Italic, color text, etc) do nothing when you click on them. It all seems to work just fine using the Chrome browser. I haven't tried with MS Edge, but I would think it works with that as well.

Any Ideas on what might be going on?

Reaction score
Craig,

I use FF for Mac as my primary browser and I don't experience any of the difficulty you're describing. Are you using a Windows based machine?

Yes I am using a windows 11 box Firefox Version 106 (probably soon to be upgraded, but the latest version anyway)

All the icons in the editor window are grayed out, but the mouseover words show up.

Reaction score
Clear the browser cache on a regular basis, since the cached files can get messed up.

I use Vivaldi (Chrome clone) and MS Edge, and have no problems with either. I have FF installed, but don't use it often -- just for things that Chrome clones don't allow. I don't use Chrome.

Reaction score
In FireFox, open the Settings dialog (Application menu on the far right of the URL bar, 3 horizontal lines).

In Settings, select Privacy & Security.

Scroll down to Cookies and Site Data

Click Clear Data. You want to delete the cache, but normally not all cookies.

FF allows you to clear data when closing the browser, but it does not appear to distinguish between Cache and Cookies. MS Edge does, and I have it set to delete the cache each time.

Reaction score
Well what do you that seems to have cleared it up quite nicely. Who knows what was going on.

I am going to blame gremlins hanging out inside my CPU, yeah that's it.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Don't know why I didn't think of that, CS guy all that, but the simple solutions often elude me.

Now, if I could get Visual Studio to work as nicely as this.

ratflinger

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clear the browser cache on a regular basis, since the cached files can get messed up.

I use Vivaldi (Chrome clone) and MS Edge, and have no problems with either. I have FF installed, but don't use it often -- just for things that Chrome clones don't allow. I don't use Chrome.
Yes you do - if you use a Chromium based browser you are using Chrome, and all the negatives that go with it.

I still use Firefox - why you ask? Because it can still be locked down for privacy. I realize that there is no real privacy on the internet, but one can limit what happens.

ratflinger

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well what do you that seems to have cleared it up quite nicely. Who knows what was going on.

I am going to blame gremlins hanging out inside my CPU, yeah that's it.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Don't know why I didn't think of that, CS guy all that, but the simple solutions often elude me.

Now, if I could get Visual Studio to work as nicely as this.
Try running it in Win7 mode.

Reaction score
I thought Luddites liked Opera! ...y'know once Netscape bit the dust...

Years ago Opera cost money. I won't pay for a web browser. I use Firefox often to make sure someone is testing the software we produce with something other than Chrome. It used to be that I used Internet Explorer a lot, but since Ms killed that abomination, I have switched to the other one one.

vinny

Mildly Amused
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes you do - if you use a Chromium based browser you are using Chrome, and all the negatives that go with it.

I still use Firefox - why you ask? Because it can still be locked down for privacy. I realize that there is no real privacy on the internet, but one can limit what happens.
Look into Brave if you want a privacy browser. I use Brave, FF, and Chrome for different purposes. I have one of my computers locked down so hard it breaks sites. It's laughable when you hit a link for a useless site like pinterest and they won't let you follow a link, cause all they make money from is selling peoples habbits and interests. There's quite a few, no data tracking, you're not welcome.

TurkeyHollow

Turkey Hollow Winery
Reaction score
Years ago Opera cost money. I won't pay for a web browser. I use Firefox often to make sure someone is testing the software we produce with something other than Chrome. It used to be that I used Internet Explorer a lot, but since Ms killed that abomination, I have switched to the other one one.
Nope... FREE!!! (and worth every penny). Just kidding. It really isn't bad. I'm a Chrome user but trust nothing this day and age (IT worker in full disclosure).

Reaction score
I just went to several sites, just to look at what browsers are getting used the most. It's not even close Chrome is at about 62%, Safari (mostly due to Apple tablets) is at about 24%, Edge is at 5%, Firefox 3%, Samsung Internet (Probably tablets and phone) 3%, all others bringing up whatever's left (which is about 4%). That tells me all I need to know about what browsers I need to deal with.

I'm sue others can find other numbers showing other numbers, but with Chrome over half of the market, it tells me what to use most of the time. and I agree on the trust nothing, use complex passwords, a password keeper on some other device, don't repeat site to site. (yeah IT guy also and sometimes told I am responsible for security)

Reaction score
AFAIK, there are only 3 main rendering engines that are actively developed:

Gecko - Mozilla / Firefox / Thunderbird​
WebKit - Apple​
Blink - Google, which forked from WebKit in 2013. This includes all Chromium-based browsers including Microsoft Edge, Brave, Vivaldi, Samsung Internet and Opera​

I see there are a couple of others, but I've never heard of them, which indicates their miniscule market share (my job includes ensuring functionality in mainstream browsers). Several others (including Microsoft's Trident (IE) and EdgeHTML) are in maintenance mode but not active development.

Chromium/Blink is 70% of the market, so that is what web sites focus the testing on. The applications I develop/support focus on Chrome, Edge (Chromium based), and Firefox.

TurkeyHollow

Turkey Hollow Winery
Reaction score
I just went to several sites, just to look at what browsers are getting used the most. It's not even close Chrome is at about 62%, Safari (mostly due to Apple tablets) is at about 24%, Edge is at 5%, Firefox 3%, Samsung Internet (Probably tablets and phone) 3%, all others bringing up whatever's left (which is about 4%). That tells me all I need to know about what browsers I need to deal with.

I'm sue others can find other numbers showing other numbers, but with Chrome over half of the market, it tells me what to use most of the time. and I agree on the trust nothing, use complex passwords, a password keeper on some other device, don't repeat site to site. (yeah IT guy also and sometimes told I am responsible for security)
I think it's due to many K-12 schools (and many businesses & higher ed) are now using Google Workspace. Free (well, mostly) for education and for small business much cheaper than MS 365 apps. ...Sorry... I know this is supposed to be about wine. I do this stuff to get away from that stuff!

TechAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
1669069723074.png

Go to that highlighted icon and turn the bb controls back on. Somehow or another, yours were turned off with the same icon.
If you cannot see it, just try guessing about that space and see if it will show for you.