Post your labels here

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suggest you pick a theme and stick with it for a period, e.g., 2021 wines or 2022 wines. In your situation, your logo and the winery name (including font name and size) can be your theme. Play with other features.

Instead of focusing on making the perfect label, have fun with the process and try different things. If your labels are 6/sheet and the DB is 5 gallons, print 4 different labels. The wine won't be around long as DB is a quick drinker, and you can see what works.
Oh, I am having fun with it. It's just without seeing it on the bottle it's hard to say if I like it or love it. I've also never designed a wine label before, so I am just looking for insight as to what others are seeing in the designs. I agree I need a theme or brand, and my intent was mostly to create the logo and just make variations from there. I'm sharing them now because I'm thinking I will have a few bottles to play around with and I can use the advice to make some minor changes instead of trying to recreate a good starting point.

I think I have made about 10 variations so far. I was thinking of printing them all off on standard paper, cutting them out, taping/gluing them to the bottles and posting my favourites here for review before I print on the real labels.

Great job! Really like the distressed black with the diagonal red stripe. My only suggestion would be to add more contrast. Use a brighter red against the black, and have the gradient in the text and claw go from gray to white (instead of dark gray to light gray). Really minor nuance would be to enlarge the claw just a bit so it overlaps the stripe a bit more instead of converging with it. Again, great job.
Thanks. I will play around with your suggestions. I starter working with a brighter grey stripe with red accents in and around that, but didn't get very far before bed called. I'll post those too if it pans out.

This is my label killer. Just a razor blade with a handle. Makes quick work wet or dry. Just need to deal with the glue. I found cooking oil (any) and baking soda with a stainless scrubber stripped all the labels I went at it with very easily. A little dish soap and a rinse and it was done. Not even a little bit painful.

I've read sticking them on with glue sticks makes homemade labels slide right off in hot water. I'll give it a try.

I don’t mess around with labels. Too much work getting them off. Here’s what I do. Vintage year and bottling date.

I like to personalize things and add my own touch. We'll see in 10 years, but for now its label mania!IMG_20220608_164551.jpg

Last edited:
This is my label from a recent batch of Island Mist: Sex On The Beach.
Renamed Easy Breezy and featuring our sailboat.
I use the Avery software, and print on 8&1/2x11 full sheet at Staples.
My wife says 4 per page is best as when I made 6 per page they were too small.
Nice, I'm using Avery as well, along with editing software.

That's a great label. I'm going to play around with some pictures as backgrounds as well.

Great job! Really like the distressed black with the diagonal red stripe. My only suggestion would be to add more contrast. Use a brighter red against the black, and have the gradient in the text and claw go from gray to white (instead of dark gray to light gray). Really minor nuance would be to enlarge the claw just a bit so it overlaps the stripe a bit more instead of converging with it. Again, great job.

I believe I have a new label consultant!

It can still use some tweaking, but it looks more like a label than a headstone now.

shiraz white.png

I thought I was really going to like this one. Simple and clean..

I printed it, it looked good. Cut out it, it looked good. Grabbed a bottle... Not good. Just the way the colours set off against the bottle. It's a no go.

What a racket!

Screenshot from 2022-06-08 19-06-19.png

Next!

Last edited:
I think I have made about 10 variations so far. I was thinking of printing them all off on standard paper, cutting them out, taping/gluing them to the bottles and posting my favourites here for review before I print on the real labels.
That is an excellent choice, and cost effective. I assume you're printing on an inkjet? Print on a color laser ... the difference is amazing.

Nice, I'm using Avery as well, along with editing software
Their online tool is good, although I prefer the Windows version, which is no longer supported. I'll keep using it until something better comes along and/or it stops working.

It can still use some tweaking, but it looks more like a label than a headstone now.
The brighter red makes a huge difference! This is the best yet!

I printed it, it looked good. Cut out it, it looked good. Grabbed a bottle... Not good. Just the way the colours set off against the bottle. It's a no go.
I'm guessing the grey is a bit "blah". Try the same label with a rose background.

I thought I was really going to like this one. Simple and clean..

What a racket!

View attachment 89342

Next!
Such an important observation... the bottle frames the label the same way a mat frames a painting or photograph. It directly affects the appearance.

That is an excellent choice, and cost effective. I assume you're printing on an inkjet? Print on a color laser ... the difference is amazing.
I forgot to reply to this one. I printed them out on an inkjet. A pretty good one, too, but it didn't look great. The labels are glossier than standard paper so I will try again on better paper before I give up. There is a printing company in town that we do a lot with, Staples as well. I am sure I will end up using one or the other, I don't think my printer will do it justice.

I don't have a ton of time invested, but there is no point in going this far and using a lousy print. I have said it before, there is not a lot you can do for cheap entertainment these days. If getting labels printed puts a smile on my face when I offer my wine to someone, it's money well spent. Heck, even I'm just pulling it out for me to sip on and I can feel some accomplishment in it....

Labels are hard! I am just messing around with these. I don't have anything bottled, and I think once I do I'll be able to see thing better if I do a test print and get it on the bottle.

Thought I would ask opinions though.

I made the bearclaw logo months ago and these 2 are the original ideas.

Very professional looking! My one suggestion would be to increase the color contrast between the text and background to make it easier to read. If someone is looking for a bottle in a dimly lit wine cellar, you don't want them to have to pull out a flashlight.

EDIT: I just read the latest posts. I really like your revised version with the black/red background. Very nice!

Guess I didn't hit post on this one and I actually didn't forget to reply about the inkjet.. :rolleyes: Not distracted today, at all.

I'm guessing the grey is a bit "blah". Try the same label with a rose background.
It looked muddy and purple. It wasn't sharp and clean like it looked on it's own. I'll try rose and see!

The brighter red makes a huge difference! This is the best yet!
Thanks, I wish I had the ability to see it like @Noontime

Very professional looking! My one suggestion would be to increase the color contrast between the text and background to make it easier to read. If someone is looking for a bottle in a dimly lit wine cellar, you don't want them to have to pull out a flashlight.

EDIT: I just read the latest posts. I really like your revised version with the black/red background. Very nice!
Thanks Raptor.

Good point on the cellar! Off the get go I am going to have caps to differentiate, but I am sure I will run out of colours quick at this rate.

I do not typically label my wine bottles except if the kit comes with labels, or I make a special "one off" label for a friend. There are some exceptions to this and here is one. I make this blend of Zinfandel and Muscat (3:1) after a blend that my father-in-law made. I am making a quadruple batch, i.e., 18 gallons of Zins and 6 gallons of Muscat, which should result in 115-120 bottles of the wine, so I designed and had produced a label for the wine in homage to Steve. He taught me so much about wine making, not to mention providing me with the love of my life!

(The group of six bottles is being sent to relatives in Nevada.)

Attachments

• 100_1991.JPG
    100_1991.JPG
    816.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_1990.JPG
    100_1990.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I do not typically label my wine bottles except if the kit comes with labels, or I make a special "one off" label for a friend. There are some exceptions to this and here is one. I make this blend of Zinfandel and Muscat (3:1) after a blend that my father-in-law made. I am making a quadruple batch, i.e., 18 gallons of Zins and 6 gallons of Muscat, which should result in 115-120 bottles of the wine, so I designed and had produced a label for the wine in homage to Steve. He taught me so much about wine making, not to mention providing me with the love of my life!

(The group of six bottles is being sent to relatives in Nevada.)
Very nice! I'm sure with that blend it's quite fruity, and the labels reflect that... that it will be yummy. :)

Latest posts

Back